COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well it looks like you can still test positive after both vaccines.

Daughter received a call last night from Track and Trace and has to isolate for 10 days. She's a bit miffed as she will miss college. Her boyfriend's dad had tested positive, and he'd dropped her home on Wednesday. He'd been out with a friend at weekend, wasn't ill at all, but his friend tested positive. He'd done a lateral flow at weekend that was negative, but on Thurs tested positive then had to get a PCR.

He's had both jabs and is not ill. So I can see vaccinated folk, who are testing regular, at some point coming up positive again, and having to isolate, even though not unwell. I think workplace sickness rates are going to take a hammering.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member

Daughter received a call last night from Track and Trace and has to isolate for 10 days. She's a bit miffed as she will miss college. Her boyfriend's dad had tested positive, and he'd dropped her home on Wednesday. He'd been out with a friend at weeking, wasn't ill at all, but his friend tested positive. He'd done a lateral flow at weekend that was negative, but on Thurs tested positive then had to get a PCR.

He's had both jabs and is not ill. So I can see vaccinated folk, who are testing regular, at some point coming up positive again, and having to isolate, even though not unwell. I think workplace sickness rates are going to take a hammering.

As explained by Professor Van Tam in the briefing the other day, that is the issue wrt travel to Amber countries - the vaccinated traveller is unlikely to be ill but could be infected and bring back and spread the virus on their return.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I'm not surprised given the explanation of PCR testing at https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/features/types-of-covid-19-test-antibody-pcr-antigen/
PCR tests are used to directly screen for the presence of viral RNA, which will be detectable in the body before antibodies form or symptoms of the disease are present. This means the tests can tell whether or not someone has the virus very early on in their illness.

The effect of the vaccine will be to allow the virus to be fought off but I don't thin anybody has ever said it prevents early infection.

midlife

Guru
Apparently on Wattsapp that over 16 can book a covid vaccine in Workington. Not on Wattsapp so can't check. Seems a bit odd.

Buck

Guru

Daughter received a call last night from Track and Trace and has to isolate for 10 days. She's a bit miffed as she will miss college. Her boyfriend's dad had tested positive, and he'd dropped her home on Wednesday. He'd been out with a friend at weeking, wasn't ill at all, but his friend tested positive. He'd done a lateral flow at weekend that was negative, but on Thurs tested positive then had to get a PCR.

Its never been any different. The vaccine reduces transmission and symptoms but doesn’t prevent you “carrying” the virus and infecting others.

Reactions: C R

That is very, very old news.
All that has ever been claimed with any degree of certainty is that the approved vaccines are extremely effective at preventing serious illness and hospitalisation in most people who receive them, and at reducing (not eliminating) transmission from the vaccine recipient, should they happen to get infected.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Its never been any different. The vaccine reduces transmission and symptoms but doesn’t prevent you “carrying” the virus and infecting others.
Absolutely, 90%. But at some stage we need to adopt a few protocols which balance the need to minimise virus spread with the demands of 'everyday' living and recognise the benefits of the vaccination programme. Holiday in UK peeps. Where in UK haven't you been so far in your life?
For example are we going to continue to require a double vaccinated 'close contact' of someone who a few days later tests PCR positive to self-isolate? For example in the case above, the test and trace direction is that the daughter will need to (and be directed to) self-isolate. What if she'd been also fully vaccinated (+14 days)?
On the issue of 'vaccination' doesn't give full protection, the Warwick Uni modelling suggests that the majority of future deaths will be people who have been fully vaccinated. The deadly maths is reasonably straightforward. Take two individuals one 80, the other a vaccine hesitant 40.
Then multiply their chances of:
Exposure to infection - say 40 year old thrice as likely
Developing infection - 40 year old 10 times as likely (80yo has 90% protection from vaccinatation)
IFR: for the 40yo = 0.1% For the 80yo = 10%
The vaccinated 80yo is 3 times more likely to die of COVID-19 than the unvaccinated 40yo. (NB the vaccine hesitant 40yo can reduce their OR by a factor of 10 by getting vaccinated.
* All figures rough, but the messages are clear.
1) Sadly statistics suggests a few people will die having tested positive for COVID-19 within 28 days, even if they've been fully vaccinated: a few of the 900 who die in UK every summer week.
2) The higher percentage of the population who get vaccinated the less chance there is of either individual catching COVID-19 in the 'first place'.

fossyant

The problem I see is having to take time off work if you are regularly testing, but are fully vaccinated. Or potentially more awkward in a fully vaccinated house, is isolating, despite no-one being ill.

First case I've experienced.

Buck

Guru
Absolutely, 90%. But at some stage we need to adopt a few protocols which balance the need to minimise virus spread with the demands of 'everyday' living and recognise the benefits of the vaccination programme. Holiday in UK peeps. Where in UK haven't you been so far in your life?
For example are we going to continue to require a double vaccinated 'close contact' of someone who a few days later tests PCR positive to self-isolate? For example in the case above, the test and trace direction is that the daughter will need to (and be directed to) self-isolate. What if she'd been also fully vaccinated (+14 days)?
On the issue of 'vaccination' doesn't give full protection, the Warwick Uni modelling suggests that the majority of future deaths will be people who have been fully vaccinated. The deadly maths is reasonably straightforward. Take two individuals one 80, the other a vaccine hesitant 40.
Then multiply their chances of:
Exposure to infection - say 40 year old thrice as likely
Developing infection - 40 year old 10 times as likely (80yo has 90% protection from vaccinatation)
IFR: for the 40yo = 0.1% For the 80yo = 10%
The vaccinated 80yo is 3 times more likely to die of COVID-19 than the unvaccinated 40yo. (NB the vaccine hesitant 40yo can reduce their OR by a factor of 10 by getting vaccinated.
* All figures rough, but the messages are clear.
1) Sadly statistics suggests a few people will die having tested positive for COVID-19 within 28 days, even if they've been fully vaccinated: a few of the 900 who die in UK every summer week.
2) The higher percentage of the population who get vaccinated the less chance there is of either individual catching COVID-19 in the 'first place'.

I would like to think that the rules of engagement will change once we have offered the vaccine to the adult population. At the rate it is going we are not too far away.
2nd dose vaccinations are going well and uptake remains strong for these so it’s good to see only limited apathy in those with first dose. Vast majority are actively seeking it especially as it will give them the perceived freedom.

Once we have vaccinated the majority of those able to have the vaccine, the risks become lower and dare I say, more acceptable.
The challenge will be if the current vaccination programme proves ineffective against new strains but that is another discussion!

Buck

Guru
The problem I see is having to take time off work if you are regularly testing, but are fully vaccinated. Or potentially more awkward in a fully vaccinated house, is isolating, despite no-one being ill.

First case I've experienced.

It’s a big impact no doubt about it. There are numerous trials underway at present that have people completing daily LFTs and do not have to isolate if negative. This may be a stepping stone to remove the isolation period.

My son was sent home from school this week as someone in his bubble was positive. He is “unofficially” doing daily LFTs but still has to isolate For the 10 days. Thankfully our holiday doesn't start until day 11 - Phew!!

fossyant

It’s a big impact no doubt about it. There are numerous trials underway at present that have people completing daily LFTs and do not have to isolate if negative. This may be a stepping stone to remove the isolation period.

My son was sent home from school this week as someone in his bubble was positive. He is “unofficially” doing daily LFTs but still has to isolate For the 10 days. Thankfully our holiday doesn't start until day 11 - Phew!!

Same here - daughter due to come with us to the caravan, day 11. Phew. We are down for about 8 days at the van.

She was going to do a LFT today.

Top Bottom