COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine was a Lidl vaccine.
Vaccination station in the car park of a closed down Lidl!

KIZ_EMM.jpg

At least ours is inside...

Fortunately I was vaccinated at work.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Vaccinating under 18s
If JCVI come out to say no recommendation either way, we do seem to have an odd approach to risk here. We won't vaccinate children because the reward to them individually is small and it would involve a small but non-zero risk of some suffering adverse reactions to the vaccine. Yet we need them to develop immunity to contribute to wider UK herd immunity - unstated by government for obvious reasons - so we let them catch and likely spread COVID-19 instead of accessing a vaccine that is safer. I guess it's more politically and morally (?) palatable for the virus to kill/long covid say 20 children for the greater good than the vaccine programme to maybe kill/maim 1 to the same end (20:1 made up; I very much doubt there is data).
However though this seems bonkers it probably does make some sense due to the risk of fueling wider vaccine hesitancy through the creation of a few highly emotive stories of tragedy.
Perhaps by the time we get there (to having available supply for under 18s) there will be sufficient data from under 18 vaccinations in the USA to quantify the risk.
18 year old son received his jab yesterday (Pfizer).

Buck

Guru
Professor Anthony Harnden, Deputy Chair JCVI said last week that whilst there is a benefit to vaccinating under 18s, this is not for their benefit but, like flu, for the benefit of their parents, grandparents etc who they will come into contact with and potentially infect.

The bigger and better solution is to target to get every adult vaccinated with at least once dose, ideally two. This will have a better, more direct impact and will also remove the emotive issue of vaccinating those under 18.

As of last night there hadn’t been a definitive decision on what they will do. My feeling is they will see effect what this weekend’s “Grab A Jab“ work will have on numbers vaccinated With lots of pop up clinics / walk-ins etc.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Of course I understand who the prime beneficiaries are if we vaccinate under 18s. Don't think the 'like flu' comparison is valid: in the past, the UK hasn't vaccinated its school age population against flu, has it? Thought it was 60+ (and UHC +) and then any spare for first comers. I think that the teenagers of UK will be influenced/led by their parents; mostly for the good. The argument that those doses are better used for the direct benefit of the aged vulnerable around the world (say in the Commonwealth) won't go away.
The suggestion that getting every adult vaccinated is a "bigger and better solution" implies that we can't do both, or try to: a fallacy, imo - but maybe you are pointing up the priority. Certainly second doses are more valuable than first ones (first = 33%, second = (81-33)%).

midlife

Guru
Maybe extend to 16 and 17 year olds and that drops the presumed need for parental consent?

And where do you slot in all that Gillick competence stuff for even younger people who want the vaccine, glad it's not me deciding....

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Maybe extend to 16 and 17 year olds and that drops the presumed need for parental consent?

And where do you slot in all that Gillick competence stuff for even younger people who want the vaccine, glad it's not me deciding....

This being done in every senior school every year. HPV vaccines, meningitis jabs, seasonal flu etc, the process is there, let's use it.

midlife

Guru
This being done in every senior school every year. HPV vaccines, meningitis jabs, seasonal flu etc, the process is there, let's use it.

Yep, the rationale is that those medical interventions are for the child.... Covid vaccine is for the benefit of the population and not the individual child.

I paid hundreds and hundreds of pounds to get my boys vaccinated with Gardacil as the government decided it wasn't worth it going by the stats

Julia9054

Guru
There may not be much benefit medically, but surely not having to miss school and self isolate every time a classmate tests positive is a huge benefit to vaccinating under 18s.
We currently have 2 cases in year 9 (one definitely caught from the other) and 2 in year 10. Half of each year group are at home self isolating.

classic33

Leg End Member
The vaccine comes with the role It isn’t about protecting you, it’s protecting those that you’re apparently caring for.
im the same as @midlife - the team have been keen to get vaccinated to a person.
Not according to NHSvaccine", who insist that I "require at least two doses to be fully protected against the virus".

Top Bottom