COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
So you just ignore the bit about AZ having committed a "serious breach" because there isn't an immediate fine? Is speeding not a crime if you get to take an education session instead of given a fine?

Exactly. No remedy, ridiculous lawsuit with no purpose, no change in outcome, makes zero difference to vaccine supply.

Political posturing wasting everyone's time.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Exactly. No remedy, ridiculous lawsuit with no purpose, no change in outcome, makes zero difference to vaccine supply.
Political posturing wasting everyone's time.
@mjr - bbc said:
What exactly did the judge order?
"The judge at the Court of First Instance in Brussels ordered that AstraZeneca should deliver a total of 80.2m doses by 27 September.
"If the company fails to do so, the order says, it must pay a penalty of €10 (£8.5; $12) per dose not delivered.
"The EU's demand for 120m doses by the end of this month was not accepted.
"Welcoming the court order, AstraZeneca said it had already supplied more than 70m doses to the EU and would "substantially exceed" 80.2m doses by the end of June."
As @rt said: "pointless": expensive (assumed) expenditure on lawyers (funded by the fine member states) and minimal political benefit.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@mjr - bbc said:
What exactly did the judge order?
BBC are not objective on this, but I ask the same question to you: does only the order matter, not the ruling too? Is close-passing not a crime if you are offered an education session instead of penalty or prosecution?

I have some sympathy with the view that no-one except lawyers truly win if it ends up in court, but this debacle has clarified that selling the same production capacity to two buyers is not "best efforts".

classic33

Leg End Member
BBC are not objective on this, but I ask the same question to you: does only the order matter, not the ruling too? Is close-passing not a crime if you are offered an education session instead of penalty or prosecution?

I have some sympathy with the view that no-one except lawyers truly win if it ends up in court, but this debacle has clarified that selling the same production capacity to two buyers is not "best efforts".
Sticking with the close pass example.
If I were the party that had been the victim of a close pass, and with the case reaching court. I'd not consider it a victory if the offender were handed an education session, and not prosecuted.

I'd also consider it to have been a waste of time, and money, getting the case to court. There's no real winner.

If two orders are placed for the same product, a month apart, whose would you seek to fulfill first. Bearing in mind that one order may never be used before the shelf life has expired.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
No crimes were committed in AZ's best and continuing efforts to supply many different customers, notably at no net profit (cf Pfizer/Moderna). A predicted supply rate was given to the EU to allow them to plan their world-beating vaccination programme (for which I hope van de Leyen gets all due credit) but no rates of supply were in the contract (having read it in January, with redactions exposed).
The two contracts (AZ-UK VTF and AZ-EU EMA) did not "sell the same production capacity" to two buyers. As we discussed so long ago, the predicted supply rate (ie x by date ddmmyyy) to the EU was not achievable despite AZ's best efforts because the plants in the EU, on which the predicted supplies depended, had initial (and unpredictable) capacity generation issues.
Is close passing a crime?;)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
BBC are not objective on this

Lol. Anyone who disagrees with you is "not objective"

this debacle has clarified that selling the same production capacity to two buyers is not "best efforts".

An assertion without the slightest justification.

*If* the court had reached the conclusion that was what had happened, then it would surely have insisted the injured party were compensated. It did not.

Is close-passing not a crime if you are offered an education session instead of penalty or prosecution?

You have no clue as to the difference between criminal and civil law, it seems.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Lol. Anyone who disagrees with you is "not objective"
No, that's not it. Try finding many recent articles where the BBC takes a balanced view of a story involving the EU.

*If* the court had reached the conclusion that was what had happened, then it would surely have insisted the injured party were compensated. It did not.
Never heard of pyrrhic victories, clearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that's not it. Try finding many recent articles where the BBC takes a balanced view of a story involving the EU.

Never heard of pyrrhic victories, clearly.

More like you have no clue about analogies, it seems.

What exactly is a balanced view, and who judges on that ?

Do you take a balanced view of anything to do with potential differences betweeen the EU and the UK, because afaics you just about always take the view that ‘EU right/UK wrong’ ?

This isn’t a directly Brexit or an antI-EU matter, just a contractual difference which has been sorted.

What exactly is a balanced view, and who judges on that ?

Do you take a balanced view of anything to do with potential differences betweeen the EU and the UK, because afaics you just about always take the view that ‘EU right/UK wrong’ ?

This isn’t a directly Brexit or an antI-EU matter, just a contractual difference which has been sorted.

You and your reasonable analysis...

Incidentally the EU is suing Germany at the moment. I'm not sure why.

Top Bottom