COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
ALARP I presume means as low as reasonably possible, used to use it for taking xray, now replaced by ALARA, last word achievable.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hmm, what if they have an underlying medical condition that makes a jab potentially problematic?

Airline flight staff and surgeons have long had "No jab, no job" rules.

The precedent is well established in practice.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
What do people feel about the "no jab means no job" idea for care workers? I have very mixed feelings on it.
The JVCI placed some carers in the very highest of the vaccine priority groups. That's a full group higher than the initial recordings.
So difficult to argue that carers should be exempt from jabs.

Difficult for a carer to reduce contact with the vulnerable, or to work from home, so that leaves very few options.
Best option is probably that unvaccinated people have to take a regular lateral flow test, perhaps at the start of every shift. That way they can keep on doing their normal job.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The EU legal action is ridiculous.

Do they really think AZ is not busting a gut to get supplies out of the door?
Contrary to the above, the EU won in court: AZ has been ordered to use the British factories to fulfil the order (and told that it should have), or suffer a €10 per dose late fee. However, the court refused the EU's request to impose a timetable on AZ for some still-unscheduled doses until/unless AZ fails to schedule them in good time. https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_21_3090

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Great idea, with exceptions for those allergic to the contents etc.

In general though, I am not opposed to no vaccine no job.

SWMBO and myself were discussing this earlier; she had to have Hepatitis B plus a couple of others for her NHS role as a Dietitian. Without them she couldn't be employed.

However, that's a bit different to a minimum-wage care worker who could earn more stacking shelves.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Contrary to the above, the EU won in court

Grief.

Not only do you have no clue about how legal action proceeds, the outcome requires AZ to schedule nothing different to what it is now anyway, and EU vaccination will be completed before any enforcement is possible!

It precisely vindicates my post, which was that the legal action was pointless.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
However, that's a bit different to a minimum-wage care worker who could earn more stacking shelves.

Why is that the case?

Couldn't your wife had said exactly the same when compared with a surgeon? Approximate starting pay for a surgeon, £82k, a starting Band 5 is £25k ish. A shop worker in Aldi is £15k ish. Or a difference of £10k between the Band 5 and Aldi, or a difference of £55k between the surgeon and the Band 5!

Reactions: C R

mjr

It precisely vindicates my post, which was that the legal action was pointless.
Strange how "pointless" was misspelt so ill in the previous post that it looked like "ridiculous"! Far from ridiculous, as it turns out. The previous post was inaccurate in saying that AZ were "busting a gut". They weren't even living up to the contract.

We can disagree about the point, which I suspect was more about future general adherence to contracts with the EU than getting AZ to deliver: luckily for the EU, they've many other viable vaccine options.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Why is that the case?

Couldn't your wife had said exactly the same when compared with a surgeon? Approximate starting pay for a surgeon, £82k, a starting Band 5 is £25k ish. A shop worker in Aldi is £15k ish. Or a difference of £10k between the Band 5 and Aldi, or a difference of £55k between the surgeon and the Band 5!

True. To her though she's OK with having the vaccine given her profession and salary, which is nowhere near a surgeon's. For someone who doesn't want to have the vaccine making it compulsory at the lowest-wage, when a shelf-stacker earns more, she has an issue with. I'm guessing it's because she's worked, and still does work, with Band 2 colleagues - some of whom really care about their role and others who see it just as a job to do.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Sorry, I just don't get the link between salary and vaccine uptake. Nearly all of our nursing and AHP students have had the jab, and they are paying to be there effectively.

If you work in care, have the jab. End of. 'Care' is the word here, have a look on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/here, and see how many people who work in care are happy to slag off the government for not doing enough. Then when the government say 'well here is something you can do, we will get you early jabs that may save your and your families and your patients lives' thousands of people are saying 'no, why should we?'

I don't get it.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The previous post was inaccurate in saying that AZ were "busting a gut". They weren't even living up to the contract

Complete cobblers.

They were living up to the contract, as directly evidenced that no remedy for lack of compliance to that contract was imposed by the court.

midlife

Guru
Sorry, I just don't get the link between salary and vaccine uptake. Nearly all of our nursing and AHP students have had the jab, and they are paying to be there effectively.

If you work in care, have the jab. End of. 'Care' is the word here, have a look on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/here, and see how many people who work in care are happy to slag off the government for not doing enough. Then when the government say 'well here is something you can do, we will get you early jabs that may save your and your families and your patients lives' thousands of people are saying 'no, why should we?'

I don't get it.

Same in our clinic, everybody been jabbed twice regardless of salary or rank. Can't think of anybody not vaccinated.

Not sure it's the right word to use but it's a "duty" we have to ourselves, colleagues, our patients and the wider public.

mjr

Complete cobblers.

They were living up to the contract, as directly evidenced that no remedy for lack of compliance to that contract was imposed by the court.
So you just ignore the bit about AZ having committed a "serious breach" because there isn't an immediate fine? Is speeding not a crime if you get to take an education session instead of given a fine?

Top Bottom