COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
All takes time and effort, Andy, and degrades efficiency in programme rollout. Paper is so 20th Century, and probably more prone to error in practice.
Need to keep in mind the level of hazard and associated risk of a different vaccine second time round.
(See post upthread).

All takes time and effort, Andy, and degrades efficiency in programme rollout. Paper is so 20th Century, and probably more prone to error in practice.
Need to keep in mind the level of hazard and associated risk of a different vaccine second time round.
(See post upthread).

Everything was entered on a database as well, the paperwork is the extra confirmation.

The normal system is to have a "vaccination pass" wghere everything is written down.

I've lost mine, so after Covid dies down I'll have to get a new one.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Hope they manage to get the mess sorted.

I had a card that simply gave the date and the type of vaccine given. No other details on it, nor were they asked for before the jab was given. Wonder how many more are in a similar situation to Mrs B.

When were you not asked for the card? Before your second vaccine?

classic33

Leg End Member
When were you not asked for the card? Before your second vaccine?
There's going to be no second jab for me.

Added in edit
I'd been advised that the Pfizer vaccine was deemed to be unsafe for me, medical decision. I'd to wait until the safer of the two became available.

I'd a reaction that put me into A&E for four hours. Underlying health condition meant that this was the first jab ever given. Medical consensus over the years has been that it'd not be safe, for me.

Note this is personal to me, and I'm not trying to say that the vaccines are unsafe.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It would be interesting to know what those on the receiving end of their care think - especially those who for some reason cannot themselves be vaccinated.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What do people feel about the "no jab means no job" idea for care workers? I have very mixed feelings on it.
Hmm, what if they have an underlying medical condition that makes a jab potentially problematic?
If your granny or father was in a care home, would you want someone who was 400% more likely (100/(100-81)) to develop symptomatic illness and even more liable if you add in asymptomatic illness (both states infectious to different degrees) to have multiple close contact with your relative? Edit: Put yourself in the role of Care Home lead: how would the risk assessment go? What risk mitigation measures might you include to reduce the risk to ALARP?
Add to that:
  • the type of multiple person interactions (often moving from site to site) that a care worker typically has
  • the opportunity for/likelihood of above average transmission rate
  • the vulnerability of elderly 'cared for' even fully vaccinated
  • the weak control mechanisms in the 'industry' partly driven by marginal profitability
If a care worker has an underlying medical condition that makes vaccination against COVID-19 potentially problematic then their role and interface with those with vulnerable needs may not, on balance, be in the interest of the cared for individual (that interest, viewed in the round, is the paramount consideration). The challenge is going to be that society needs care workers, so do the individuals cared for, and if there aren't enough (because a proportion either can't (medical) or won't (by choice) get vaccinated) then the shortage will impact care quality.
Not sure I agree. Which group will be next!
One step at a time. The merits of a 'group' being placed into the mandatory vaccination category will be subject to wide and detailed public scrutiny, as this one has. The UK is a free country: no vaccination is mandatory (look at the damage caused by the MMR disinformation debacle, though) but for certain worker categories (eg HepB for surgeons) it is. People are free to 'just say no' but with that may come exclusion from certain employment.
ETA: Prof Wilkinson, Medical Ethics, University of Oxford, said: "There is a strong ethical case that care home workers (and NHS staff) who have not had the COVID vaccine should be redeployed to areas other than frontline care."

Last edited:
Wonder what the take up is like amongst the youngest.
There's been vaccine available for 18+yos in this part of Lancashire for a week or so now, and when I went into town last week, there was a constantly-moving queue of mainly very young (older teenager/young adult age group) outside the vaccination marquee at the bus station. When I went back to the bus station a couple of hours later, the moving queues were still there. There seemed a constant supply of youngsters! Having the tent there is really good and convenient for many people; if they're getting the bus to uni or college or a job, it takes only a very few minutes out of their day.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If your granny or father was in a care home, would you want someone who was 400% more likely (100/(100-81)) to develop symptomatic illness and even more liable if you add in asymptomatic illness (both states infectious to different degrees) to have multiple close contact with your relative? Edit: Put yourself in the role of Care Home lead: how would the risk assessment go? What risk mitigation measures might you include to reduce the risk to ALARP?
Not sure what Augmented Live Action Role Playing has to do with this, but the above is basically why I have mixed feelings about this: the freedom of carers to decide what risks they take with their own health versus the rights of those cared for to decide not to risk contact with them.

As for underlying medical condition that makes vaccination against COVID-19 potentially problematic: they deserve support if they have to change jobs, but it's not that unusual for people to be excluded from jobs due to medical conditions. Despite looking like a younger @Drago and fighting off numerous unwanted advances with a bicycle pump, it's never been likely that I would pass the medical to be an astronaut, for example.

One step at a time. The merits of a 'group' being placed into the mandatory vaccination category will be subject to wide and detailed public scrutiny, as this one has.
We have next to naff all power to influence the decision, though. I hope the various reports are being made to parliament and MPs given a free vote on it.

The UK is a free country: [...]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: but for other reasons off-topic here (I want my citizenship back). Really, the acid test will be whether MPs are given a free vote.

ETA: Prof Wilkinson, Medical Ethics, University of Oxford, said: "There is a strong ethical case that care home workers (and NHS staff) who have not had the COVID vaccine should be redeployed to areas other than frontline care."
Someone from a care home association was on TV news yesterday pointing out that most care homes do not have vast arrays of backline care staff, with many services often contracted in, so redeployment opportunities are few. If they have more than a few frontline carers banned from the frontline, the choice will be firing them and/or closing down. I really hope an impact assessment is made before the decision is taken.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom