COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Suppose I wanted to buy a batch of a million doses. Does anybody have a rough estimate of what Pfizer might sell the stuff for on a per dose basis?

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Can anybody suggest why this vaccine might need two doses per person within a short period of time? I know some vaccines have follow up jabs later on but I thought this was after at least a year.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Can anybody suggest why this vaccine might need two doses per person within a short period of time? I know some vaccines have follow up jabs later on but I thought this was after at least a year.
Hepatitis jabs used to be a few weeks apart. Lord knows why. I remember it well because they jabbed you in your buttocks and the syringe was huge. Hurt like hell after an hour or so.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not a clue, but i opted to have mmr recently - in my late 40s - and that was a month between two jabs.

lane

Veteran
It means that it prevents 90% of cases.

Having the same exposure to the virus, you are 10x less likely to end up with Covid if you'd had this vaccine, compared to someone not vaccinated.

Put it another way: if at a typical Trump rally 100 people get Covid, if they'd been vaccinated previously, only 10 of them would get it.

They wouldn't be vaccinated though would thry:laugh:

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

PK99

Legendary Member

Rabies is two or 3 in a short period

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Sometimes, if you take a large group of people, with one vaccination you might expect 70 percent to be protected. But if you give a second dose, you may get up to 90 percent. Rather than testing the population to find the 20 percent not protected by the first dose, what is probably a more straightforward strategy is just giving two doses to insure you have that high level of protection.

Some immune systems need a second dose to prime them whilst some are fine with just the first dose. But we don’t know who falls into which bracket for each vaccine. So just give them two doses to be sure.

Solocle

Über Member
1604957995109.png

tom73

Guru
I'm not sure with this particular trial, but with the Oxford trial, the primary measure is symptomatic disease, not just testing for virus. Asymptomatic cases don't count.

From what little information we've been given this one is the same symptomatic only. Pfizer look to have been very selective on the information given. Still a lot of unknowns. Of the ones who become covid positive no information on age , risk factor ect. It's unusually to go public with details this early. The trial is still on going until it's formally published, peer reviewed and independently safety tested a lot can still go wrong.

Reactions: C R

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's early days and with a few of the vaccine studies reportedly about to release data I think Pfizer just wanted to get a jump on their rivals. The early bird catches the worm, or in this case 7% on their share price. Interestingly, the Pfizer news immediately knocked $14bn off the value of Zoom.

tom73

Guru
It's early days and with a few of the vaccine studies reportedly about to release data I think Pfizer just wanted to get a jump on their rivals. The early bird catches the worm, or in this case 7% on their share price. Interestingly, the Pfizer news immediately knocked $14bn off the value of Zoom.
That's the top and bottom of it. Money to be had and lot's of it you can bet the others with an eye on this will be organized crime. They already make plenty from counterfeit drugs can't see this being any different.

Top Bottom