COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
News says it’s likely front line clinicians will be prioritised which obviously makes sense, then it’ll be the extremely clinically vulnerable presumably

SWMBO's been told she'll be one of the first as she works on a Covid ward.

I'm likely to be mid-December as I'm in no. 7 on that list but have been ill this year.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm likely to be mid-December as I'm in no. 7

I think timelines are against anything but a tiny number of vaccinations this year.

Pfizer will not file the data from this trial with regulatory agencies until the safety readout, which they've said will be late November (today's news is on efficacy). Then the relevant agency needs to review and approve. That normally takes 12-18 months(!) but in current circumstances they're talking about short numbers of weeks. Pfizer will most likely prioritise a US submission; EU will probably follow very shortly.

Allow time for distribution, logistics and prioritising, and it seems very unlikely more than a handful of vaccinations this year.

As we're leaving the EU on 1st Jan, it's possible approval could be delayed by that, if not approved before then.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Can somebody explain what "90% effective" means? 90% of the population probably don't get C-19 without taking anything.

Reactions: C R

roubaixtuesday

Can somebody explain what "90% effective" means? 90% of the population probably don't get C-19 without taking anything.

It means that it prevents 90% of cases.

Having the same exposure to the virus, you are 10x less likely to end up with Covid if you'd had this vaccine, compared to someone not vaccinated.

Put it another way: if at a typical Trump rally 100 people get Covid, if they'd been vaccinated previously, only 10 of them would get it.

roubaixtuesday

I'm not sure with this particular trial, but with the Oxford trial, the primary measure is symptomatic disease, not just testing for virus. Asymptomatic cases don't count.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

Having the same exposure to the virus, you are 10x less likely to end up with Covid if you'd had this vaccine, compared to someone not vaccinated.

Put it another way: if at a typical Trump rally 100 people get Covid, if they'd been vaccinated previously, only 10 of them would get it.
Ah. Thanks. That makes sense.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Something I didn't know about until a couple of days ago is that a vaccine will not prevent you getting infected but it will prevent you getting ill. At the end of the day though it comes out at the same place.

Seevio

Guru
Hopefully this vaccine will allow people to fight off the virus prior to becoming infectious. It's not enough just to stop people getting ill if the the virus still spreads.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Something I didn't know about until a couple of days ago is that a vaccine will not prevent you getting infected but it will prevent you getting ill. At the end of the day though it comes out at the same place.

Vaccine prevents the virus getting a strong foothold. It’s can’t sneak in and rapidly multiply before it gets recognised as an intruder. As soon as it’s through the door it gets hit over the head with a sledgehammer by the immune system.

Rusty Nails

We remember

There's always a downside.:evil:

PaulB

Legendary Member
90% effective means Pfizer's PR department have found an open door people want them to push.

90% effective! It's only been around ten minutes. How effective was Thalidomide before they released it?

vickster

Legendary Member
90% effective means Pfizer's PR department have found an open door people want them to push.

90% effective! It's only been around ten minutes. How effective was Thalidomide before they released it?
Quite effective for its intended use (morning sickness)...just not very safe!
Clinical testing has moved on a bit since and as a result fortunately!
As well as pharmcovigilance and post launch surveillance (making my life fun from time to time)

Last edited:
Top Bottom