COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I appear to still be alive if that's any succour. But I'm part of the trial which is a different thing to being 'first in the queue' for routine vaccination which takes place after the trial has been concluded. Which is kind of the point of having a trial.
Thanks, but I'm already happy with the clinical trials process for vaccines, and I won't hesitate to have the jab if it's offered to me.

However I stil worry the vaccine won't be a silver bullet. We've barely dealt with the initial impact of this disease, let alone worked out long-term implications for the NHS or the economic shockwave. Arguably, the economic shockwave hasn't even arrived yet.
If we're incredibly lucky the virus will somehow quickly burn itself out, but I fear that long before that happens the global community will experience a massive destabilisation thanks to this virus. I'm really not sure what to expect.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Thanks, but I'm already happy with the clinical trials process for vaccines, and I won't hesitate to have the jab if it's offered to me.

However I stil worry the vaccine won't be a silver bullet. We've barely dealt with the initial impact of this disease, let alone worked out long-term implications for the NHS or the economic shockwave. Arguably, the economic shockwave hasn't even arrived yet.
If we're incredibly lucky the virus will somehow quickly burn itself out, but I fear that long before that happens the global community will experience a massive destabilisation thanks to this virus. I'm really not sure what to expect.

Yep it's going to cost billions to cut the backlog of elective surgery/treatments people are waiting for on the NHS ....

There is of course a way not to spend those billions - that will come to the fore in due course.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I appear to still be alive if that's any succour. But I'm part of the trial which is a different thing to being 'first in the queue' for routine vaccination which takes place after the trial has been concluded. Which is kind of the point of having a trial.

Indeed and being part of a trial means you may not have been injected with a vaccine at all.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
So if this is be believed the antibodies only last a few months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54696873

Have read elsewhere that the Vaccine makers can up the dose to produce a greater immune response - I suppose right now 4 months protection would be an upgrade on the protection we have now.

The immune response is more multi faceted than just anti bodies. It has many components.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I assume that all MP'S will have the vaccine first, then after a 14 day wait, all members of the NCS.
Then, we give it month or 2 for the side effects to show themselves before the vulnerable groups have it .....
Then, like the Moonshot Testing, the rest of the population will be quietly forgotten ... as they don't actually need it ...^_^

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Exceptionally good news. Nobody expected 90% efficacy.

Some thoughts:

1. Measured 7 days or more from 2nd dose, no indication yet on how long lived immunity is.

2. A couple of weeks yet until the length of safety data required for registration.

3. No indication from the press release on the age profile of the cases. How effective vaccines are in elderly population is a key question. I don't know if this trial has a specific elderly cohort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom