COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Kingrollo me old mucker I think you will probably get a vaccine :okay:. It'll just be quite a while that's all.

The vaccine given to even higher risk groups than you before is very, very good for you. It just may not feel like it.

Even a few hundred thousand targetted double doses given before the middle of February would help things along. If they work. The plans are for vastly more over a longer period of time.

Jeremy Farrar was talking about monoclonal antibodies today and if that works and can be mass produced another promising treatment.
Weird - in all seriousness. Despite my list of health conditions...I'm not I'll ! - I work, ride my bike, there's nothing I've been advised not to do.

That's what gets me about "pre existing conditions" - it can be minor as HBP - or someone who puffs an inhaler a couple of times when they have a cold.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In Denmark it sounds like the military are being taught to give injections. I have been injecting myself for 3 weeks to prevent embolisms. It took 10 seconds to learn. Once the vaccine is available in Denmark they will get everyone vaccinated quickly because people will go and can be tracked to show they have been. There seems to be a big resistance in the UK to the fact that Covid exists. I have not seen that here🇩🇰

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
In Denmark it sounds like the military are being taught to give injections. I have been injecting myself for 3 weeks to prevent embolisms. It took 10 seconds to learn. Once the vaccine is available in Denmark they will get everyone vaccinated quickly because people will go and can be tracked to show they have been. There seems to be a big resistance in the UK to the fact that Covid exists. I have not seen that here🇩🇰
I would say it is occasionally loud and raucous, but not big

C R

Guru
I don't think self injecting anticoagulants or insulin, both subcutaneous, is the same as an intramuscular injection. I've been injecting insulin for over 25 years, but the once I tried to self inject the flu vaccine it didn't quite go to plan.

tom73

Guru

That's one drug that has been checked and dispensed to you. Unless the government is going to bypass even more clinical governance.
The admin and medicine management alone is massive. Not impossible but we don't have great track recored on health IT or implementing it.
Never mind the public having confidence in this HCP's need it too. Without it many will be very careful around this process.
As we may well end up with many different vaccines they may have multiple side effects so remembering which to look out for and when.
will need to explained and form part of any training. Advice to patients will also differ again that's got to be explained in ways that they understand. Sound like Denmark may not have issues with any of this as will many other nations.

Sadly the public here will it's likely not get clear information or guidance. We've not had much up to now. It will only take one or two "rare" side effects and people will panic, the daily hate will have a field day and GP's will get mass worried well beating down the door.
So much hangs on this working it has to done right we will only have one shot at this. It will come down to the personal details and how each person see things.

lane

Veteran

Not big just a few nutters. Had a protest outside our local village supermarket on Saturday against the tier 2 restrictions.

However I think there is probably more people concerned about the safety of the vaccine - especially the fact the process has been speed up. They may even be right - I believe there were some unpleasant side effects form the swine flu vaccine. Still I will be getting mine as soon as possible and had my flu one on Friday. Balance of risk.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I hope so.

The point I am making is that a lot of people for example in their 70s are going to get a shock when they get told/find out they are getting the jab say 2 months after they start. To borrow a phrase the first wave of vacinations may include a very large number of people but will take months.

The numbers for over 85 risk is just so stark when you see it in the graphs from PHE :sad:. So it's right that that is the basic plan if there aren't hiccups or not that effective.
While I do fall into a group that would get first go at a vaccine I am not too bothered really. Given my current lifestyle I am at low risk {I hope} of getting infected and in any case I would rather wait a bit in case of teething troubles. My life could of course change suddenly if I developed some other illness.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
And we bloody well can't have that can we !
I think the Scottish Government are thinking of that but would not be allowed by Westminster.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That's one drug that has been checked and dispensed to you. Unless the government is going to bypass even more clinical governance.
The admin and medicine management alone is massive. Not impossible but we don't have great track recored on health IT or implementing it.
Never mind the public having confidence in this HCP's need it too. Without it many will be very careful around this process.
As we may well end up with many different vaccines they may have multiple side effects so remembering which to look out for and when.
will need to explained and form part of any training. Advice to patients will also differ again that's got to be explained in ways that they understand. Sound like Denmark may not have issues with any of this as will many other nations.

Sadly the public here will it's likely not get clear information or guidance. We've not had much up to now. It will only take one or two "rare" side effects and people will panic, the daily hate will have a field day and GP's will get mass worried well beating down the door.
So much hangs on this working it has to done right we will only have one shot at this. It will come down to the personal details and how each person see things.
Yes I appreciate that. We are quite fortunate to be run by a government who we have trust in. Hopefully we will get vaccinated when it proved to be safe.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'm encouraged that there are numerous vaccines in Stage 2 and Stage 3 trials currently; surely there will quickly be a vaccination scheme aimed at key-workers and the most vulnerable (oh, and politicians).

But I do fear that the good news won't last.
Millions unemployed, Rishi re-imposing austerity, empty (closed) shops. A vaccine that isn't available to all, leaving millions terrified and potentially at risk from the slightest nearby cough or sneeze. A scramble for private jabs (at what cost?) which will highlight inequality in society. Riots.
Such scenes could spread across the world, along with international tensions and finger-pointing. :eek:

Meanwhile the virus quietly mutates, potentially rendering the vaccines useless.

tom73

Guru
Grrr.

You'd have thought a professional scientist would correct the unit error before he let the PR people send it out with his name on.
As with much matters around covid many things that for most are not common conversations. But common professional talk is now main stream with little or no context. With the media happy to apply buckets of mediation to help it along.

Drago

Legendary Member
So differing reports - some saying there could still be one available in the UK in the next couple of months, whilst others are saying early next year or six months , and Boris Johnson even suggested recently we may never got one....

Whats everyones thoughts ?
I still have contacts in the dibble, somemof them quite senior. They in turn get their info direct from the Home Office, without the distortion or pollution of press or pundits.

Word is 6 are under development, and 4 show promise. However, they say best case scenario would be February, an a lot of things have to go right, a lot of planets have to line up the make that happen, a lot of luck imvolved.

That leaves overseas sources, which may or may not manage it quicker. Always assuming it turns out to be possible at all. My guess is there's an evens chance it'll never be viable - if it were that easy to immunise against viral infections there would have been an aids vaccine decades ago.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
- if it were that easy to immunise against viral infections there would have been an aids vaccine decades ago

Not all viruses are equal.

A smallpox vaccine was developed over two centuries ago!

The HIV virus mutates far faster than this virus.

Most experts are far more confident than you that a useful vaccine will be developed, however, many do not believe it will be 100% effective or lifelong.

It's very likely, perhaps near certain, that the first efficacy data on vaccines will emerge this year. That's not to say they will be rolled out on that timescale.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom