COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Had the Pfizer jab a couple of hours ago (50 years old and have C.O.P.D
Bit of an aching arm but no more than when I have the flu jab each October
Feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel

vickster

Legendary Member
My SIL in her early 40s who has asthma has had her first jab.

Don't know anyone in their 50s without conditions who has yet heard. There are a lot of people in group 6

A couple of ex colleagues who are breast cancer survivors have also had their first jabs :okay:

Last edited:
Don't know anyone in their 50s without conditions who has yet heard. There are a lot of people in group 6
Yes - I noticed that - it will really act as a big buffer to the lower ages.
I was somewhat shocked by the way by the number of folk in that "with conditions" group.
Don't know if that's a bigger percentage of the population in the UK than other places.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes - I noticed that - it will really act as a big buffer to the lower ages.
I was somewhat shocked by the way by the number of folk in that "with conditions" group.
Don't know if that's a bigger percentage of the population in the UK than other places.

A buffer to slow the rate of vaccination down, or a buffer to stop death/hospitalisation/transmission?

Even taking UHCs out of it, the number of those to be theoretically vaccinated as carers and those on the severely mentally ill in group 6 is very large.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm not in a priority group. I'm in the "to be thrown under the bus on 21 June" group
Except (in the under the bus metaphor) you will have have a he1met on, young person, which will save you from serious injury ;) - the bus will be travelling at less than 8mph. So its BSEN1078 standard should be relevant.
By then (21 June), unless you are under 45 (which the style of your posts doesn't suggest), you will have been 'offered' a vaccination, or already received one. If the take up is less than 90% in the next JCVI groups your jab date will be earlier still. And 37 million (2/3rds of the adult population) will have been vaccinated and another 4 million (under 45, unvaccinated, estimated) will have antibodies from having had C19 in the last 6 months.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not expecting my Group 9 jabs for months yet, although I know a Group 9 friend (with NO underlying conditions) who had hers last week. She was mystified why it was so early, and had to check it wasn't a scam.

marinyork

You will still have the option not to go anywhere.

If the step 4 stuff comes along at the earliest possible date (and step 3 stuff), someone can choose not to attend those higher risk events. I won't be going in a nightclub on 21st June even on a date. That's fine to me. Many others may work in these sectors or work in other workplaces with masses of unvaccinated people and poor ventillation. There are way too many people a year on that bang on about cleaning venues and not enough focus on ventillation, length of time exposed, face coverings and actually staying 2 metres apart. It's understandable as so many diseases in human history are related to hygiene and handwashing and large parts of the population are wired in to worry about this, but it also means the public message isn't getting in a year in.

A buffer to slow the rate of vaccination down, or a buffer to stop death/hospitalisation/transmission?
I didn't mean it in a critical way.
Or that it will slow the number of folks getting the vaccine.
Simply that there are an awful lot in that group (one of the largest I think), so a lot will need doing before folks further down the age range will get it. They may have thought that the jab was hurtling towards them faster than it will.

marinyork

I didn't mean it in a critical way.
Or that it will slow the number of folks getting the vaccine.
Simply that there are an awful lot in that group (one of the largest I think), so a lot will need doing before folks further down the age range will get it. They may have thought that the jab was hurtling towards them faster than it will.

I didn't think you meant it negatively at all. People in groups 8 and 9 may think the jab's hurtling towards them faster than it would otherwise, however outside of this board I've heard of quite a number of people in their 50s without UHC who've been offered jabs. It's more the mixed messaging/hints off politicians where the 'offered' has swung in a short space of time between end of March, End of April, back to mid-April and then for a while (which has stopped now) very bullish talk of offering all over 18s the vaccination by May/June. Group 6 was estimated to be 7.3 million people and with last week's UHCs it may be something like 9 million. Time has passed, so I think people are a bit more aware of how long this'll take. I think people appreciate that for many in group 6 a vaccination is a massive uplift in quality of life.

Top Bottom