COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

mjr

The EU have done literally nothing to stop member states using the AZ vaccine. Indeed, EMA have explicitly said it's safe to continue. It's entirely individual member states. So they'd need to sue themselves.
Shush! Don't let facts get in the way of the UK press "EC bad" narrative!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Actual statement at https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/STATEMENT_21_1222 is noticeably absent of any mention of UK, but has plenty of criticism of AZ for delivering only a third of the order.

It's a load of arse covering crap though, I have to say.

That any of these vaccines are being produced at continent scale at all yet is an astonishing feat.

That some are slightly behind what they'd hoped is entirely unsurprising, and if Von der Leyen had signed up faster they'd likely have got them faster.

mjr

C'mon then @mjr at what point would you have us out?

You're a Man of numbers and stat's, it's clearly a Data rather than Date thing I accept that but when will you be happy to 'emerge'?
Sheesh. I have to do other things and you take it as a sleight!

I would not remove the last restrictions until case numbers are within what can be traced. As for being "out", I would have removed the blanket "stay at home" restrictions for adults already and be allowing much outdoor activity and sales across thresholds, but I would also be doing much else differently, as posted previously.

I'm happy to go out once cases are below 0.1%/week, if spaced and outdoors, so I would already be out if there was anywhere open! I probably would not go indoors or use a train or bus unless all areas en route were a bit lower than that, maybe down to 0.03%/week.

mjr

It's a load of arse covering crap though, I have to say.
It is not great but it is also not a direct attack on the UK.

, and if Von der Leyen had signed up faster they'd likely have got them faster.
No evidence for that. I doubt a UK firm making a UK university's vaccine in UK factories would export it and tell Boris he did not order soon enough, or that he would take it lying down if so. But others here disagree and we will never know.

One interesting thing in the statement is how much has been exported from the EU, compared to the UK where none has yet been confirmed despite what some on this forum suspect.

dodgy

The EU have done literally nothing to stop member states using the AZ vaccine. Indeed, EMA have explicitly said it's safe to continue. It's entirely individual member states. So they'd need to sue themselves.

Fair enough, I'm not that knowledgeable on the shenanigans going on, but what a mess.

TB was wiped out by vaccines, that's nasty
Polio. There is a man who used to work at my LBS who finished my wheels off after I laced them (I'm a cheap skate, was a lifetime ago) and he had one good leg and one bad leg. He was born just before the start of the national polio vaccination campaign.
Credit where its due for the indomitable human spirit, he used to turn in mid table 10's on the club TT's.

Actual statement at https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/STATEMENT_21_1222 is noticeably absent of any mention of UK, but has plenty of criticism of AZ for delivering only a third of the order.

I would have said conspicuously absent, as in the elephant in the room.

"If the situation does not change, we will have to reflect on how to make exports to vaccine-producing countries dependent on their level of openness. So we are exporting a lot to countries that are themselves producing vaccines. And we think this is an invitation to be open. So that we also see exports from those countries coming back to the European Union.

And the second point that is of importance for us: We will reflect on whether exports to countries, who have higher vaccination rates than us, are still proportionate."

Now who could she have been talking about, I wonder?

roubaixtuesday

I doubt a UK firm making a UK university's vaccine in UK factories would export it and tell Boris he did not order soon enough, or that he would take it lying down if so

No, Johnson would be coming out with the exact same arse covering crap that Von der Leyen is. That doesn't stop it being a load of crap, and I'm guessing you'd probably be right at the front of the queue saying so in those circumstances!

Reactions: mjr

roubaixtuesday

Indeed but there is no evidence that jabs are allocated on who signed first, rather than (say) who is paying more.

AZ have stated, and indeed are contractually obliged by their license with Oxford (Oxford refused to collaborate with firms who wouldn't do this) to provide at cost price

Signing up to the contracts enabled investment in supply chains; specifically a UK based supply chain first, then an EU based supply chain when (later) the EU signed up.

Top Bottom