Covid vaccine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, the only advantage of being 50 is I'm in the last but one group, and slightly ahead of the masses.

I'll get it mainly to protect others as I have elderly parents and a MIL who is at the top of the list of 'will die'. Thing is, we don't always know if we are at risk - colleague at work has just had it, and they were ill for a week, but her friend's husband died of it at 53.

I turn 65 in January so looking forward to one of the early batches. As far as I am concerned there is nothing to worry about...

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thing is, I am 58, have a chronic medical condition, and work in a care home! So that puts me somewhere near the front of the queue, and our boss is already making certain assumptions that don't sit well with me. This is a new vaccine and who knows what the long term effects might be. I don't believe anything that any Government department tells me, so have serious reservations about being a guinea pig for this. It's not happening, unless there is a clear danger of death by coronavirus. I'm not convinced of that, either.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Thing is, I am 58, have a chronic medical condition, and work in a care home! So that puts me somewhere near the front of the queue, and our boss is already making certain assumptions that don't sit well with me. This is a new vaccine and who knows what the long term effects might be. I don't believe anything that any Government department tells me, so have serious reservations about being a guinea pig for this. It's not happening, unless there is a clear danger of death by coronavirus. I'm not convinced of that, either.

OK, so you have three alternatives here:

1. Remove restrictions but don't accept vaccine is safe. Consequence: about a quarter of a million dead, hospitals filled for months, ongoing outbreaks forever, millions affected by long term effects of illness.

2. Don't relax restrictions. Social distancing and intermittent lockdowns forever.

3. Vaccinate, accept the small risk associated given tens of thousands dosed in trials.

Which seems best to you?

classic33

Leg End Member
OK, so you have three alternatives here:

1. Remove restrictions but don't accept vaccine is safe. Consequence: about a quarter of a million dead, hospitals filled for months, ongoing outbreaks forever, millions affected by long term effects of illness.

2. Don't relax restrictions. Social distancing and intermittent lockdowns forever.

3. Vaccinate, accept the small risk associated given tens of thousands dosed in trials.

Which seems best to you?
Commonly used drug, tested and used on millions every year. Severe side effects within seconds of it being used/administered, in A&E. Use again, or accept the fact things will hurt?

Choice isn't as simple as you make out.

roubaixtuesday

Commonly used drug, tested and used on millions every year. Severe side effects within seconds of it being used/administered, in A&E. Use again, or accept the fact things will hurt?

Choice isn't as simple as you make out.

No idea what you first paragraph refers to.

As to choice - if you think there's another option here, please elucidate.

classic33

Leg End Member
No idea what you first paragraph refers to.

As to choice - if you think there's another option here, please elucidate.
You mentioned tens of thousands dosed in trials. I was on about a drug that is used thousands of times a day.

Severe reaction to it, when it was used. Does the person using/administering it carry the can when things go wrong. Because they've been told to use it(Don't feel this is fair on them), or do I get the chance to say "No, it's not safe for me".

roubaixtuesday

You mentioned tens of thousands dosed in trials. I was on about a drug that is used thousands of times a day.

Severe reaction to it, when it was used. Does the person using/administering it carry the can when things go wrong. Because they've been told to use it(Don't feel this is fair on them), or do I get the chance to say "No, it's not safe for me".

Well, I don't think anyone is proposing compulsion, so I still don't really get your point.

And if even a small proportion of the population refuse this vaccine, we're likely in the soup. So what's the plan then?

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, I don't think anyone is proposing compulsion, so I still don't really get your point.

And if even a small proportion of the population refuse this vaccine, we're likely in the soup. So what's the plan then?
That's something for the other thread, I feel.
I read the opening post as asking personal opinion on the matter.

It's not about refusing it, more the ability for it to be given without a severe reaction. AND no comeback on the person who administered it.

Top Bottom