Covid vaccine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You'd need to rewrite the NHS constitution. Informed consent is a fundamental part of our healthcare system.

I would strongly encourage people to get vaccinated but I don't think any treatment or intervention should be mandatory.
Fine. I'll happily rewrite the NHS constitution.

We have mandatory treatments or interventions already - from fluoride in water to fortified flour to mandatory mental-health interventions. This is an easier case to argue than any of them.

tom73

Guru
That's something for the other thread, I feel.
I read the opening post as asking personal opinion on the matter.

It's not about refusing it, more the ability for it to be given without a severe reaction. AND no comeback on the person who administered it.

In the case covid vaccine the law has been changed and none liability has been extended to anyone giving it.
In the case of other drugs that say a Doctor has written you up for. It depends on with you have a know reaction to it or not. If known then it's the giver that's liable via employer. If a HCP they risk being reported and losing registration. If a None HCP gives it and a HCP is around like a ward then none HCP's are always classed as acting under direction of a HCP. Eg health care assistant and a Nurse. The buck still rests with the HCP. It was the main issue Mrs 73 had what working bank in nursing homes she had to rely on other staff saying Mrs x was Mrs x.
If it's not known and it was given correctly then none is held responsible. If they fail to act correctly once a reaction starts than for that bit they are.

tom73

Guru
Fine. I'll happily rewrite the NHS constitution.

We have mandatory treatments or interventions already - from fluoride in water to fortified flour to mandatory mental-health interventions. This is an easier case to argue than any of them.

You better re right the mental capacity act at the same time then oh and PACE will need a rethink too.
Presumed consent is not something you want to mess too much with.

byegad

Legendary Member
If enough people refuse the vaccination, Lady Byegad and I will remain confined to our home without taking extreme measures to protect ourselves for the rest of our lives.
Reluctantly, I'm in favour of compulsion wherever a know medical reason to not vaccinate is absent.
For the flu vaccine an allergy to eggs is a reason for avoiding the vaccine, or was when I got my first flu jab twenty odd yrs ago. I had to sit in the surgery for 20 minutes in case I went into apoplectic shock.

D

Deleted member 26715

OK, so you have three alternatives here:

1. Remove restrictions but don't accept vaccine is safe. Consequence: about a quarter of a million dead, hospitals filled for months, ongoing outbreaks forever, millions affected by long term effects of illness.

2. Don't relax restrictions. Social distancing and intermittent lockdowns forever.

3. Vaccinate, accept the small risk associated given tens of thousands dosed in trials.

Which seems best to you?
4. Full & proper clinical trials are carried out.

What other 'vaccine' has jumped all the queues & signed off fit for purpose with only 43K tests?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

What other 'vaccine' has jumped all the queues & signed off fit for purpose with only 43K tests?
It's not signed off as fit for purpose. It's still going through full and proper clinical trials.

So far as I can tell, 43,000 is pretty normal for a vaccine. It's enough to pick up all but the very rarest of side-effects, and will be followed up during distribution by yet more monitoring.

There's plenty of reading available - scientists are nothing if not public in the way they do things.
https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/vaccine-development-testing-and-regulation
https://www.who.int/biologicals/publications/trs/areas/vaccines/clinical_evaluation/035-101.pdf?ua=1

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

"Full and proper" trials are being carried out; 43k is not untypical for a phase 3 trial and will have been agreed with regulators prior to commencement.

Here's a review of vaccine clinical trial design:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4944327/

On numbers:

In the prelicensure studies, it is recommended to enroll approximately 3000 subjects.[3] However, where Phase III studies are designed with safety as the primary end point, huge sample sizes are seen, e.g., >37000 subjects were enrolled in a 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine study,[45] while for Rotarix™[46] and RotaTeq™[47] ~63,000 and ~70,000 infant subjects, respectively, were assessed to detect the risk of intussusception.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

And as two of us have answered your questions, perhaps you could answer one for me:

Why are you and others so sure of your position without bothering to understand the facts first?

"It needs mass uptake to be effective, so I'd cheerfully make it mandatory. "

You'd need to rewrite the NHS constitution. Informed consent is a fundamental part of our healthcare system.

I would strongly encourage people to get vaccinated but I don't think any treatment or intervention should be mandatory.
... but the government has the power to isolate you, if it's for the greater good. So there is a er ... "deterrent" available!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Work colleague just now was praying for the vaccine to be available ASAP for his dad. He's still quite sprightly and used to go out every day, but since lock down his mental health has deteriorated that much they are very worried about him. Gone from being independent to dependent !

D

Deleted member 26715

Why are you and others so sure of your position without bothering to understand the facts first?
It's being produced by an American company & has the full backing of the UK Conservative Government, if any corner can be cut to make extra margin then it will be, the side effects can wait as that won't be their problem.

Top Bottom