Covid vaccine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It's being produced by an American company & has the full backing of the UK Conservative Government, if any corner can be cut to make extra margin then it will be, the side effects can wait as that won't be their problem.

OK... left wing vaccines only!

In all seriousness, regulatory authorities routinely turn down applications from American companies. Here's a learning exercise published by FDA on 22 of them

https://www.fda.gov/media/102332/download

You've already seen the FDA halting COVID vaccine trials due to potential side effects.

What's different here?

As to side effects not being their problem - Pfizer will be ultra sensitive on this - imagine the impact to their company if a significant safety concern arose. It would ruin their reputation and destroy their brand.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It would ruin their reputation and destroy their brand.
They'd also be sued to buggery and never be able to get insurance coverage again. It would be the end of Pfizer.

Drago

Legendary Member
A bit more coming out in the media as the day goes on. Apprarently rhe aide effects for some, particularly after the 2nd jab, can be very unpleasant, like a combination of flu and a hangover from hell.
Mod Note:
Please be aware that no reputable link to prove this statement has been provided (as @Drago says "apparently")

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Put your own Political spin on it if you wish, but show me another vaccine that has been brought to market & made freely available within 6 months?
So, how/why would this be done much more quickly than it used to be...? (Apart from the fact that billions of £/$/yen/whatever are being thrown at it, and tens of thousands of the best scientific brains.)

Here's a clue...

"The above estimated cost for generating the first human genome sequence by the HGP should not be confused with the total cost of the HGP. The originally projected cost for the U.S.'s contribution to the HGP was $3 billion; in actuality, the Project ended up taking less time (~13 years rather than ~15 years) and requiring less funding - ~$2.7 billion."

Cost now?

"Based on the data collected from NHGRI-funded genome-sequencing groups, the cost to generate a high-quality 'draft' whole human genome sequence in mid-2015 was just above $4,000; by late in 2015, that figure had fallen below $1,500. The cost to generate a whole-exome sequence was generally below $1,000. Commercial prices for whole-genome and whole-exome sequences have often (but not always) been slightly below these numbers."

Time taken now? Days rather than more than 10 years!

Technology has moved on A LOT! My phone is tens of thousands of times more powerful than the computers used by the Apollo ships to get to the moon. And somewhat cheaper...

winjim

Smash the cistern
A bit more coming out in the media as the day goes on. Apprarently rhe aide effects for some, particularly after the 2nd jab, can be very unpleasant, like a combination of flu and a hangover from hell.
I wouldn't call that a side effect, it's a normal vaccine reaction. It's just your immune system getting a bit of a jolt. It should be manageable with paracetamol. I felt shocking after my first Covid jab although that was a different type of vaccine to the Pfizer one. It also may have been a control but phase 1 data suggests that most people do have a strong reaction to it.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A reactuon of that intensity isn't normal.

Interested to know how you reach that conclusion.

The reactions were studied in the phase one study and compared with a control group treated with a meningitis vaccine. Reactions were worse than the meningitis vaccine, but viewed as acceptable, so presumably in what might be viewed as the normal range by a layperson. They were obviously seen as a potential issue, as there was a protocol change to include prophylactic paracetamol.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31604-4/fulltext

I've read elsewhere (but can't locate) that the dose was deliberately chosen to be the highest tolerable to give the best chance of efficacy, so these kinds of reactions were expected.

1605031752058.png

winjim

Smash the cistern
Interested to know how you reach that conclusion.

The reactions were studied in the phase one study and compared with a control group treated with a meningitis vaccine. Reactions were worse than the meningitis vaccine, but viewed as acceptable, so presumably in what might be viewed as the normal range by a layperson. They were obviously seen as a potential issue, as there was a protocol change to include prophylactic paracetamol.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31604-4/fulltext

I've read elsewhere (but can't locate) that the dose was deliberately chosen to be the highest tolerable to give the best chance of efficacy, so these kinds of reactions were expected.

View attachment 557499
Different vaccine.

Top Bottom