Covid vaccine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I am a needle-phobic too so I have been paying close attention to this!

I hated having regular venous INR blood tests but these days they only involve a fingerprick test. I absolutely loathed having a cannula put into a vein on the top of my hand for contrast dye infusion for a CT scan.

I have been watching vaccine testers having their arms stabbed though and they often don't even blink, so it clearly doesn't hurt much. TBH, it isn't even so much the thought of pain that worries me - it is the ickyness of someone fiddling about trying to find a vein... I had one unskilled nurse who probed about (painfully!) for over 20 seconds and I ended up in a sweating crumpled heap! :blush:

Vaccine direct in muscle. No need to find a vein.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Vaccine direct in muscle. No need to find a vein.
That is what I was getting at when I posted "I have been watching vaccine testers having their arms stabbed though and they often don't even blink, so it clearly doesn't hurt much." I thought it would be incredibly painful but the volunteers showed no response at all when the needles were put in.

PS I just reread my post above. I can see what you are getting at... I meant it is venous injections/blood-taking that bother me.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
If/when this becomes available to the masses, will you be at the front of the queue? Or will you be more cautious and wait to see what the longer term effects might be?
I am one of the latter....
Having weighed up the pros and cons of this vaccine (and spoken to my GP), and then been offered it, I have decided to take my chances and go for it.
Some of the staff from my work have already been vaccinated today. I was supposed to have a slot either tomorrow or Thursday but "the system" is having some teething problems!
Hopefully get my first dose of the vaccine by the weekend though, and fingers crossed for the side effects...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Injections only 'hurt' the first few mm into the skin, after that they don't . Something my son had to come to terms with when he was diagnosed Type 1. I couldn't inject myself when I had the broken back and was back home with anti blood clot drugs - MrsF did it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Injections only 'hurt' the first few mm into the skin, after that they don't .
Needles into fat or muscle, maybe so.

Venous needles bloody well can hurt though (forgive the pun)! Before the local NHS got portable INR testing machines which work off a drop of blood from a finger, I used to have to give regular venous samples. 4/5 nurses seemed to be very good at wielding the needles but one in particular was awful and I dreaded getting her. She once wiggled the needle about in my arm for 20-30 seconds fumbling about for the vein - nasty!

I couldn't inject myself when I had the broken back and was back home with anti blood clot drugs - MrsF did it.
Heparin? The needles were okay but I used to get a reaction to the drug itself which felt like a wasp sting. A bit painful but nothing seriously bad.

I've been watching people have their Covid jabs on the news today and they barely even blinked so it is clear that they don't really hurt.

pawl

Legendary Member
I'd have it as soon as they ask me because I want to go to the pub, the coffee shop, nose around the bookshop, get on a train without having to wear a mask, and not have to worry about taking time off work through having to isolate. I hope they give me a pass to show people when they demand I wear a mask to go to the toilet, or walk out of a fire exit and around the building to comply with their ridiculous one way system.

unfortunately the vaccine only protects the recipients It doesn’t prevent you becoming a symptomatic.Current advice Is still to take precautions including the wearing of masks.We still have to protect those who are yet to be vaccinated

Domus

Guru
Always make me laugh when they say "Just a scratch". I say "it's not a scratch it's a stab"

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
On our local News Tonight. Some people are refusing the Pfizer Vaccine, because they want to wait for the "English one". Apparently, some people don't want to be given a "German Vaccine".

As far as I knew, the Pfizer vaccine was developed and manufactured in Belgium. The "English Vaccine" (ie AstraZenaca) was developed in Oxford, but, manufactured in India. I could be wrong.

More for those for those further down the queue, and, presumably Darwinism may prevail. ;)

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Some people find the 'Apllied Tension Technique' useful for fear of / feinting issues with injections etc

D

Deleted member 26715

On our local News Tonight. Some people are refusing the Pfizer Vaccine, because they want to wait for the "English one". Apparently, some people don't want to be given a "German Vaccine".

As far as I knew, the Pfizer vaccine was developed and manufactured in Belgium. The "English Vaccine" (ie AstraZenaca) was developed in Oxford, but, manufactured in India. I could be wrong.

More for those for those further down the queue, and, presumably Darwinism may prevail. ;)
Father in law had it last week he told my wife he'd have preferred to have waited, I walked out of the room when she told me & kept my thoughts to myself.

Top Bottom