Covid vaccine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Just because you're an old misery guts doesn't mean the vaccine won't work ;)
Too true, I have already said that I really do hope it does work & doesn't leave all those who have it with some long lasting as yet undiscovered side effect, due to rushing to market before being fully analysed.

classic33

Leg End Member
Pfizer have a habit, proven in court, of keeping quiet about side effects.

I was under treatment for damage caused by long term use of one of their other products. They knew 25 years ago, but it took them another 10 to make it public. By that time the damage was done, for me. Licence was then sold on to another company.

Check Trobalt, only available for six years. But lasting damage done to many put on it.

If these new drugs are one off useage*, how are they going to keep track of everyone given them.

*Unable to find a definite answer on this.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Nobody knows how long lived immunity is yet
Which is surely another reason to be cautious about this vaccine? Will it still be effective after a year? 6 months? 6 weeks? How will we know, unless they are going to regularly check the tens of millions of recipients for anti-bodies?
I remain to be convinced about all of this, especially for those of us with chronic medical conditions. If that makes me one of these....
some nutjob going on about vague conspiracy theories
......then so be it :laugh:.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would rather take a tiny chance of some problem caused by a vaccine (as likely as winning the national lottery?) rather than a significant chance of dying horribly from a pandemic virus (more like winning £100 on the premium bonds?).

I have already had my lungs blasted by blood clots twice in the past 8 years and do NOT fancy giving Covid-19 a chance to try to finish me off by giving me them a 3rd time...

tom73

Guru
A lot of safety data has been done in the trials like never before and this is still on going as is the trials. long term study into immunity are on going Oxford uni I believe has been testing anti body levels for a good 6 months in NHS staff. Again this is on going and more will be done over time. Given the high stakes in this and the high profile of it. This vaccine has been under the spot light like no other. No one involved in it want's to be seen as failing. Covid like no other has so much money thrown at it, so much science and medical time given to it, so much data sharing and so much work into. That's way the time frame for a vaccine has been able to come right down. It's also benefitted from advancements in science that even 5 years ago we did not have. Yes we still don't know everything about covid but we know a hell lot more about than we did. Approval will only be given once it's safe to do so regulation now was never in place years ago never mind decades ago. Until the full and final information is in and it's peer reviewed no one knows if any of this will work or not.
One thing I can say never mind the government spin the vaccination program will take as long as it takes. It can only go at the speed it can go no matter what is thrown at it.

Being cautious is understandable so much about covid has laid bare day to day public health, science, Medical and clinical matter. Which for most pepole they never had a clue happen (eg.contact tracing.) Only for the mass media, the internet, and governments to pick over, cherry pick and take total out of context. That's way the messaging around this has to be bang on. Simple questions a straight reply. Unless a real change in government messaging happens and they have confidence in this. It will never work and the wheel will just go keep going round and round.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
What would being cautious mean to you, exactly?
To me, it would mean NOT being vaccinated against CV19 until I have been reassured that it won't affect my atrial fibrillation to any harmful extent. I am also concerned about the long term side effects of this vaccine, which cannot possibly be known at this time. Then there is the effectiveness in terms of how long does it last? That's another thing that cannot possibly be known yet, given that it has only just been invented. For all the "you're just an ignorant anti-vaxxer" brigade out there; I'm not saying it isn't worth the risk when weighed up against the alternative. But I DO have very real concerns, in particular with my point about it's cross effects with the medication I am already on for atrial fibrillation. I'm not allowed a wide variety of prescription medications because of it; not even across the counter decongestants and others. If someone was to offer me the covid vaccine tomorrow, I would refuse it. That's not to say my position might change next week, once more information comes to light.

winjim

Smash the cistern
To me, it would mean NOT being vaccinated against CV19 until I have been reassured that it won't affect my atrial fibrillation to any harmful extent. I am also concerned about the long term side effects of this vaccine, which cannot possibly be known at this time. Then there is the effectiveness in terms of how long does it last? That's another thing that cannot possibly be known yet, given that it has only just been invented. For all the "you're just an ignorant anti-vaxxer" brigade out there; I'm not saying it isn't worth the risk when weighed up against the alternative. But I DO have very real concerns, in particular with my point about it's cross effects with the medication I am already on for atrial fibrillation. I'm not allowed a wide variety of prescription medications because of it; not even across the counter decongestants and others. If someone was to offer me the covid vaccine tomorrow, I would refuse it. That's not to say my position might change next week, once more information comes to light.
I can't honestly say that's an unreasonable position.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like a conversation for you and your cardiologist if necessary :okay:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Thank you.

Your own vulnerability to any adverse events is obviously between you and your doctor but you may be interested in the study exclusion criteria for the Oxford vaccine which you can find here, so you can see what sort of people were and were not recruited.

https://www.clinicaltrialsregister.eu/ctr-search/trial/2020-001228-32/GB

As those with the infamous "underlying conditions" are at most risk from the virus, it would seem that from a general perspective (not your personal one, I hasten to add, an Internet firm isn't the place for that) that the risk/benefit of reactions vs covid must surely tip the balance far more towards vaccinating?

The other issues cannot be known now, or indeed ever with absolute certainty (though risks and likelihoods can be assessed at some level), but they beg the question again: what would it take to be comfortable with the risks, and what damage and death would result from waiting months or years longer for that extra surety?

tom73

Guru
That’s a genuine question like many will have which needs an open up front conversation with your GP Nurse practitioner. Every thing has a risk weighing up unknown ones v ones we do know re covid the latter will most likely out the other. But until you have the facts laid out to you it’s hard to make a totally informed choice.

dodgy

That's a damn site more considered than "I don't trust big pharma". This must all be so worrying for you, bad enough for the rest of us. Hope it all goes well for you :okay:

Top Bottom