Cow muck in cycle lane dropped by farmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GBC

Veteran
The road in Cheshire that I referred to above is different ... To keep a stretch of road permanently lethally slippery just round a tight bend and not even bother to put up warning signs is grossly negligent. If the farmer's tractor were leaking oil all over the road and he left it there for years at a time, then he would rightly be done for it. What's the difference?

I'm certainly very sorry to hear of any cyclists being injured at any time, but if the hazard is there as much as it seems to be, the organisers may want to re-visit their risk assessment.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm certainly very sorry to hear of any cyclists being injured at any time, but if the hazard is there as much as it seems to be, the organisers may want to re-visit their risk assessment.
Yes, the fact that the risk was there every year but the event organisers did nothing about it does reflect badly on them.

The fact that the farmer created the risk yet did nothing (effective) to clean it up or warn road users of the hazard reflects badly on him/her.

Reactions: GBC

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The fact that the farmer created the risk yet did nothing (effective) to clean it up or warn road users of the hazard reflects badly on him/her.

Maybe the best way would simply be to go and have a friendly chat with the guy. It could be he's just unaware of any problem. Failing that, you could contact the Parish Clerk. There's most likely people on the Parish Council who will know the farmer well or certainly know someone who does. They'll then be able to have a quiet word with the guy and if it comes from someone he knows well in his community, he may be more inclined to react positively.

ColinJ

Maybe the best way would simply be to go and have a friendly chat with the guy. It could be he's just unaware of any problem. Failing that, you could contact the Parish Clerk. There's most likely people on the Parish Council who will know the farmer well or certainly know someone who does. They'll then be able to have a quiet word with the guy and if it comes from someone he knows well in his community, he may be more inclined to react positively.
It's about 40 miles from here on the other side of Manchester so I'll leave that for a local to do. In fact, I can't actually remember exactly where the farm is, though I'd recognise the bend if I ever ride the M100 route again. If I have an hour or two to spare some time, I might Streetview my way round until I spot the bend in question. (If so, it would be interesting to see if the road is still filthy - it is about 7 years since I last rode the event.)

The farmer cannot be unaware of the mounting casualty list outside the farm entrance, nor of the fact that the road surface is very slippery! I was amazed that the police (apparently) hadn't had a word with him.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
It's about 40 miles from here on the other side of Manchester so I'll leave that for a local to do. In fact, I can't actually remember exactly where the farm is, though I'd recognise the bend if I ever ride the M100 route again. If I have an hour or two to spare some time, I might Streetview my way round until I spot the bend in question. (If so, it would be interesting to see if the road is still filthy - it is about 7 years since I last rode the event.)

The farmer cannot be unaware of the mounting casualty list outside the farm entrance, nor of the fact that the road surface is very slippery! I was amazed that the police (apparently) hadn't had a word with him.

Fair do's. Anyway what are you doing on here today, aren't you underwater over there yet again ?!

ColinJ

Fair do's. Anyway what are you doing on here today, aren't you underwater over there yet again ?!
Ha ha - everyone is asking me that! I am about 300 metres from where the flood waters reach and about 3 metres higher than the highest ever highwater mark so it would have to be a humungous flood stretching across the whole valley to reach my house. I'm (pretty much) housebound at the moment so I'm not able to walk those 300 metres to give you a photo-report!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Ha ha - everyone is asking me that! I am about 300 metres from where the flood waters reach and about 3 metres higher than the highest ever highwater mark so it would have to be a humungous flood stretching across the whole valley to reach my house. I'm (pretty much) housebound at the moment so I'm not able to walk those 300 metres to give you a photo-report!

Blimey sorry to hear that. Hope you are more mobile again soon (and the rain stops!)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
He did it again yesterday. I was driving on the same road when i saw, and smelt his horrible muck tank!:ohmy: I later went for a ride on that road and he's really covered it this time. Some might say that avoiding the road is the sensible thing to do but it's a main road that links two towns, the alternative route would add about 3 or 4 miles.
Anyway i decided to avoid the cycle lane instead only to be constantly beeped by motorists who have no idea of the problem that this anti-social ~@#! is causing us cyclists! It was dry yesterday so it wasn't too bad, but with today's heavy rain anyone using that cycle lane will end up splattered with cow muck!!:angry:

Top Bottom