Cow muck in cycle lane dropped by farmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Just had to post this.

View: http://youtu.be/2REOvo3z66k

Linford

ditto - as for the time argument - it does not take two minutes to ring up and get a road sweeper to come out and make a couple of passes - costs - same as any other business - part and parcel of being in business - concentrates the mind towards taking measures to mitigate the problem - whilst it is understandable that farming operations may leave roads in a dirty state there is no real excuse for it

Ring the Local Authority or better still report it online so that it is documented properly - most LAs have a "street doctor" reporting system and performance indicators that they have to achieve

Street sweepers are a waste of time.

I have to use a road to get into work which serves the local tip. This is a private operation which is licensed to deal with the waste from the local big town, and in addition to this takes all sorts of waste from other area's which is brought in by huge 44 tonne hgv's.

When it is dry, it isn't a problem, when it rains - despite the vehicles having to go through a wash bay area before leaving the tip site, the road which is about a mile to the nearest main road turns into a brown mess which is I'd say worse than what most farmers drag out of the fields.

The sweepers just stir it up twice a day and don't actually get rid of it from the road surface. That is the primary reason why I don't commute on my m/cycle in the winter. I'd not put a nice roadie down there either.

Paul J

There was this case from near Halesworth in Suffolk back in 2002. The farmer was not charged.

I live in rural area and can honestly say I've never been the slightest bit bothered about mud or cow $hit on the roads. If it's there I just slow down or try to go around it. It's the country after all and one of the things I expect to happen here. We'd soon start moaning if there was no bread or sugar on the shelves, or beef and bacon down the butchers!

I think your missing the point it's not a pile of shoot, rather slurry across the road or track thats the problem.

trampyjoe

I think your missing the point it's not a pile of s***, rather slurry across the road or track thats the problem.
Slurry is shoot ... in a watery state.

Sorry but facts is facts.

Just go round it (or through it, as it's slighty denser than water it makes some impressive noises!)

nathanicola

At least there are a few on here that are in touch with the countryside, people these days seem to be losing the connection between farming, food, sh!t and mud. The countryside these days is for fun and pastimes, food and milk come from the supermarket and its allmost a neusance having to spend hard earned cash on food. Without the farmers there is no countryside it is them that have formed it to the way we know today.Perhaps we should go back just a few decades when all people worried about was earning enough to put food on the table that week. Its a fact that there are only two days worth of food in the supermarkets and the country is only three days away from full scale riots if it ran out. Next time you sit down and enjoy a meal just think is that bit of sh!t or mud really that bad. Theres just this big hater thing between people with a non farming conection and farmers. A bit like the hunting ban had nothing to do with fox's but thats another topic that i wont participate in. Now i'm off to read proper threads about cycling cuz some city slickers are gettin on my t!ts.:hello:

Paul J

Ahh farmers and their right to the countryside or should I say poor husbandry and pesticide use. Lets not forget how farming has changed over the decades for the worse, So please do not think because you are a farmer you have the right to preach about the countryside because somebody disagrees with practices.

Maybe as a farmer you like smelling of shoot? Some of us actually prefer not to stink of animal slurry.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I think that on balance most farmers care deeply for the environment and where realistically possible, manage their land sympathetically. Most of the arable land around here is under Environmental Stewardship schemes wherby stuff like new hedges are now being planted again as well as wider margins around fields and along water courses being left uncropped to create more space for wildlife as well as protecting water courses. Much of this is done voluntarily as well as through such programmes. Some schemes also create permissive public access too.

All is not perfect of course, but the suggestion that all farmers are evil, slurry spilling so and so's is frankly a myth.

Perhaps farmer's biggest problem in recent years has been that of poor communication with the public leading to a bit of an image problem. Farming can be a lonely, isolated job of course and tends not to attract many extroverts with brilliant PR skills. This has meant that the public no longer have much of an understanding of farming and why things are how they are. But hopefully stuff like the brilliant annual Open Farm Sunday and more farms like this one welcoming folk to see what's on the farm will help change this.

Linford

Perhaps farmer's biggest problem in recent years has been that of poor communication with the public leading to a bit of an image problem. Farming can be a lonely, isolated job of course and tends not to attract many extroverts with brilliant PR skills. This has meant that the public no longer have much of an understanding of farming and why things are how they are. But hopefully stuff like the brilliant annual Open Farm Sunday and more farms like this one welcoming folk to see what's on the farm will help change this.

The biggest problem isn't of farmers changing their practices, but ofthe perception of the people who don't confront it every day because they live in sanitised pre packaged bubbles and the countryside is a place between their home and another sanitised bubble, or a large playground where one goes at the weekend to play with ones toys.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is one farm that I ride past on a regular basis and the road almost always has fresh or dried cow pats on it because the fields that the cows graze in are across the road from the milking sheds. Fair enough. It is a long, straight road and you can see road conditions from a long way off. (Would be tricky in fog, but speeds should be lower then.)

The road in Cheshire that I referred to above is different ... To keep a stretch of road permanently lethally slippery just round a tight bend and not even bother to put up warning signs is grossly negligent. If the farmer's tractor were leaking oil all over the road and he left it there for years at a time, then he would rightly be done for it. What's the difference?

Top Bottom