Cow muck in cycle lane dropped by farmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris H

Regular
You want to try this issue out on a motorbike !!!!!!!!!!!

Went up to Settle for the weekend last night loads of mud on the roads around this bit of North Yorkshire I think the farmers should do more and to be fair they had signs out and in a couple of places peeps in Hi Vis giving warning,

Drago

Legendary Member
I always Remind them it is an offence, and if I have to speak to them a 2nd time I'll deal with them for it.

I appreciate all the difficulties, but that's the farmers problem to sort, not the road users problem to endure. If I were really nasty most of the farmers round these parts would have no driving licences at all, what with all the document offences, unregistered vehicles, trailers with no lighting or reg plate, etc. I'm sure you're a conscientious chappie, but from someone who's perspective is the enforcement side of the fence I can confirm you are very much in a minority. Most farmers I've dealt with professionally, and all the farmers I see round my village treat the road traffic act with utter contempt.

sidevalve

Über Member
As in the OP I don't think the chief problem is the mud, you can sort of expect that near a farm gate and, although a problem which should be addressed it dries fairly fast.
The real problem is the great dollops of sticky stinking slurry that drop out of the often barely useable trailers and leaky sided trucks that "skins" over fast but remains almost liquid and slippery as h-ll underneath.
After all farmers are always saying "farming is an industry", well fair enough, all other industry has to clean up it's mess [some do it better than others I admit but at least they have to try] and so should they.

nathanicola

I always Remind them it is an offence, and if I have to speak to them a 2nd time I'll deal with them for it.

I appreciate all the difficulties, but that's the farmers problem to sort, not the road users problem to endure. If I were really nasty most of the farmers round these parts would have no driving licences at all, what with all the document offences, unregistered vehicles, trailers with no lighting or reg plate, etc. I'm sure you're a conscientious chappie, but from someone who's perspective is the enforcement side of the fence I can confirm you are very much in a minority. Most farmers I've dealt with professionally, and all the farmers I see round my village treat the road traffic act with utter contempt.
Oooohhhhh youre one of those. Road traffic act?? just because the brakes dont work on the tractor its fine i can just drop the loader to stop me, and the lights were working fine when i left home.;)

Chris S

Legendary Member
Have you ever seen a farmer on a bike?

byegad

Legendary Member
But if a farmer has to go in and out of a muddy field 10 times in a day how can he prevent flicking mud from the tyres?
Yes but he should clean it up after he's finished, he has a tractor and it will run a variety of machines to clear crap off the road. They too idle to do it but if it causes an accident you'd be able to sue them. As with many other things in life it may be the law but nobody enforces it.

nathanicola

[QUOTE 2029369, member: 9609"]I think if they are coming out of a field onto an "A" road then yes. However if it is a seldom used minor road then may be not, we do have to live and let live. I just wish they would use more obvious warning signs - rather than the usual "Mud on Road" written with a felt tip pen on the inside of a cornflakes packet and then stuck in the hedge.[/quote]
:laugh::laugh:

sidevalve

Über Member
This is such a funny thread, townies in surprise that there might be a bit of mud in the countryside shock.....
I live in the county and I still fail to see why I should have to risk life and limb 'cos some one can't be bothered to clean up after himself. After all if you dropped a load of broken glass in his cow field you'd be lucky not to get a shotgun up your bottom and it works both ways. The happy days of "old farmer Giles and his corncob pipe" are long gone and slurry is not mud, in the wrong place it is a nasty and sometimes dangerous by product of a modern and very mechanised industry.

byegad

Legendary Member
This is such a funny thread, townies in surprise that there might be a bit of mud in the countryside shock.....

I'm not a townie which accounts for something like 80% of all my punctures happening in the two periods of the year the muck kickers 'trim' their hedges with a flail which throws the debris right across the road. I really think they need to clear it up. I got home one day with my right side caked in cow shoot after a stream of oncoming traffic passed me in one of these areas. Not at all pleasant.

Top Bottom