Cow muck in cycle lane dropped by farmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I live in the county and I still fail to see why I should have to risk life and limb 'cos some one can't be bothered to clean up after himself..
Life and limb, lol stop being so dramatic. If you fear that you are in that much danger then you are clearly riding too fast for the conditions.

albion

Guru
I'm convinced there is many a serious accident caused by farmers mud on the roads.

I also recall on a walking route, a lake of cow muck strategically placed near the stile.
Lesser minded souls might be cack handed and make sure they damage his fencing.

4F

I'm not a townie which accounts for something like 80% of all my punctures happening in the two periods of the year the muck kickers 'trim' their hedges with a flail which throws the debris right across the road. I really think they need to clear it up. I got home one day with my right side caked in cow s*** after a stream of oncoming traffic passed me in one of these areas. Not at all pleasant.
Hedge trimmings I agree with you.

4F

I live in the countryside, but in England, not Bangladesh. In Blighty it's normal not to have mud on the road wherever you are.
countryside equals fields equals mud. I would stick to towns if I were you

Drago

Legendary Member
Road equals tarmac equals vehicles.

Not mud.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

I don't know about anyone else but when I'm riding the C and B roads through the countryside, mud, muck, sand, dirt and detritus is something I expect to see.

I've never been "surprised" by a pile of muck in the road. If some of you are, you're clearly riding too fast for the conditions. Slow down.

Also, many of these lanes wouldn't exist were it not for farms.

I'm not sure who is being serious on this thread. I suspect few people are.

Cows poo. They are made of beef (yum) and they produce milk (yum). But they poo.

If (as mentioned above) a steel firm drops slag on the road, it is a matter of negligence or similar.

If cows are moved from one field to another, they are likely to poo. If they cross or travel along a highway, they are likely to poo.

It is slippery when fresh and it can cause danger if road users lose control by hitting it too fast.

Livestock have been using the roads since the dawn of civilisation. Many of today's highways were originally paths used by drovers and similar.

It must have been quite galling for farmers to have the peace and quiet of their livestock paths interrupted by cyclists and motorists coming along a century or so ago and metalling them and then whipping along them at speeds over 20 mph.

It makes me a little sad to think that there are people out there ready to call the Highways Agency because of cow poo on a cycle lane.

Ought they to be called when it rains, too?

I've ridden through fresh cow pats on tarmac and it does concentrate the mind... but these things are to be expected where there are farms.

I do hope that this was a comedy thread and I've made myself look foolish by appearing to take it seriously.

At one level, it sounds a little like the rants one hears from motorists who think it's dangerous to allow slow, dawdling cyclists on the road.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Good news! The cowmuck has either been washed or swept away.:thumbsup:
Bad news! The same farmer has been hedgerow cutting. Yes you've guessed it, thorns all over the cycle lane...and he has a field a mile away from the lane that has a slurry mound, with the stinking brown stuff forming a little river across the road!:dry:

Crankarm

Guru
Good news! The cowmuck has either been washed or swept away.:thumbsup:
Bad news! The same farmer has been hedgerow cutting. Yes you've guessed it, thorns all over the cycle lane...and he has a field a mile away from the lane that has a slurry mound, with the stinking brown stuff forming a little river across the road!:dry:

Do you have muckguards on your bike? And do you drink from your bottles ^_^?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
There's mud and there's mud though. This is part of my commute home, and part of NCN 72.

Photo0003.jpg

The local farmer uses the tunnel to move cattle between fields on either side of the tunnel and the result is a slick of slurry on the track which can be over 3cm deep accross the entire carriageway (looking at my tyres afterwards - the photo is on one of it's better days), gets waterlogged when it rains, and often extends all the way through the tunnel (and runs for 50m behind the camera to the other field gate. It is extremely slippery and I don't really find leaving a cycle path like this acceptable.

This farmer also has form for leaving gates open across the cycle way further down as well so I suspect they aren't particularly happy about having a cycle path through their (rented) land.

Top Bottom