cramp in calf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
When I'm riding my cube 29er (slightly higher seat position than the hybrid) I do struggle a bit more to reach the ground, and I've been getting cramp in my calf quite often when I put my toe down quickly.
Yesterday I almost came a cropper because it was so painful, and I had to hobble around a bit till it passed.
Could my seat be too high? It's the most comfortable cycling position - I've had it lower and I got leg pain when cycling so put it back up.
Any stretches that might help?
Or other helpful suggestions? (not like "get rid of the 29er and buy a proper bike" though thanks" :smile:)

vickster

Legendary Member
Try calf stretches and heel hangs perhaps and fiddle with your saddle height - have you checked using the guides with heel on pedal and all that? Is it both legs? Are you clipped in?

Have you looked at your diet - cramp often due to a salt/electrolyte imbalance

I woke up with calf cramp today, sore, not looking forwards to cycling to work!

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm pretty sure the saddle is the right height, having done all the measuring and fiddling. It does seem to be more the right leg -but I tend to put that leg down more.
I always got cramp a lot during pregnancy, don't know if that means I'm prone to it? Had it through the night the other night too -same leg, so diet is a high possibility now you come to mention it.
Aren't you supposed to drink milk? I never drink milk.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm pretty sure the saddle is the right height, having done all the measuring and fiddling. It does seem to be more the right leg -but I tend to put that leg down more.
I always got cramp a lot during pregnancy, don't know if that means I'm prone to it? Had it through the night the other night too -same leg, so diet is a high possibility now you come to mention it.
Aren't you supposed to drink milk? I never drink milk.
Milk is good for recovery after a ride - but during the ride try some electrolyte type drinks that replace the salts lost due to sweating

If your on clipless I assume you have checked toe in\out etc. I find a good warm down exercise routine after a long ride is helpful in preventing overnight cramping in your legs.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Milk is good for recovery after a ride - but during the ride try some electrolyte type drinks that replace the salts lost due to sweating
I doubt I sweat enough for that on a ten mile plod along the river. TBH I'm not a fan of these sort of drinks, but I see where you are coming from. I could do with a natural alternative if you know one?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Look-up causes of cramp and although all kinds of things are implicated the simple truth is nobody really knows the cause. Electrolytes are vaguely implicated but for most leisure cyclists it's unlikely to be the factor unless you're doing massive efforts on hot days. Cramp questions invariably arise early season as people in poor condition overdo it when the rain stops. So for many I'd bet a pound to a penny it's a sign of a lack of fitness for the effort they're attempting.
However .... riding position can exacerbate the situation. When pedalling do you have a 'toe-down' style, ie heels high and foot always pointing to the ground around the pedal stroke? It's not uncommon and means the calf muscle is needlessly contracted all the time. If this is the case try cycling with the soles of your feet parallel to the ground (you'll need to lower your seat possibly) and see if things improve.

Berties

Fast and careful!
i get cramp in my calves after a holiday,so not exercising for a week,my leg muscle groups get tight and so not so good a range,making you pedal awkward
on normal days i keep my calves,hamstrings and quads as long as i can get them,with loading exercises,and i then seem to get less cramp,
the obvious keeping fluids up is a must,whether you use a high5 type drink is all down to you as you build rides,my commute is a 13 mile
21mph av dash and i sweat my piece off,i drink diluted pineapple juice,I have done 3 x 50 miles at good averages this week and drink high5 and any soft drink i can put in my pocket and that suits me
I have suffered in every leg muscle group with cramp in the past its not a nice feeling,good luck

Licramite

Über Member
I have to wear loose thick wooly socks to bed , even in really hot weather or I get cramp during the night - how wierd is that.
I get cramp in one particular muscle on the side of my right knee, especially on long rides, its ok if I pull the pedal but cannot push, so i gear down and spin for a bit.

I think your streatching to much to get your foot down, maybe come out the saddle so you don,t strearch the leg when stopping.

apparantly quineen is good for cramp, and what do you find quineen in - tonic water and what do we drink with tonic water - gin - so a quick G&T might help before setting off.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I get cramp in my left foot sometimes, generally after about thirty miles or so. It manifests itself when I take the load off such as coasting downhill, or getting off the bike. Quite why it's the left and hardly ever the right foot I don't know, but then again I've never been for a bike fitting. In my case it might be some positional misalignment or other that causes the trouble.

Top Bottom