Crank length for singlespeed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christopher

Über Member
Interesting, dan b! I have a 1983 Dawes converted to fixed. It has 170mm cranks and has a slight pedal strike problem - I will measure the BB height on it - be interesting to see how it compares with modern bikes.

Edit: Measured last night: 267mm :eek:! The modern bike I have has 280mm BB height, looks like Santa will have to getting some 165mm cranks pour moi...

Likelihood of pedal strike surely depends also on BB height, which seems to vary a lot depending on fashion. The BB on my early 80s 531 frame is so low that on 48x16 the top line of the chain slopes upwards from chainring to sprocket

That's not a low BB, that's rear drop-outs mounted too high!

Do not doubt me for a moment. I once knew a bloke who had sat next to an expert on a train.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm 5'6" with a 29 inch leg, my fixed has 165 cranks, the short cranks suit my short legs and make spinning up on a descent much easier. You need to work out what crank length suits you and what your comfortable with, 170 mm cranks are a good starting point, spend some time on them and work out whether they are right or not and decide whether you want to stay with them or go higher or lower.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Personally, I use 10 mm shorter cranks on my fixed gear. The reason I do this is too give me more of a chance of not being launched from pedal strike on curb stones. It is only a philosophical thinking and not even remotely evidence based.

Top Bottom