Crap service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solecyclist

I dont know if anybody has experienced crap service from a bike repair centre. Im shocked i went to my local bike repair shop to service my front mech shimano 105.The mecanic said hed repaired the mech and serviced it i rode my bike home but the problem was still there. I rode back the following week and showed the cybotech trained technician. He took the bike for an hour and and i returned he told me had had solved the problem but it just got worse so the front mech wouldn't work upon further inspection i noticed the plastic sheath near the handle bars had a huge split down it and the gear cable had frayed within what a shock. Cybotech mechanic.. My backside a first year rookie should have spotted that. Im now taking my bike to another centre. I guess service is questionable these days.

classic33

Leg End Member
Does he work with Vintage bikes?

Ajax Bay

Guru
upon further inspection i noticed the plastic sheath near the handle bars had a huge split down it and the gear cable had frayed within . . . .
Im now taking my bike to another centre. I guess service is questionable these days.
I guess some riders' powers of observation before they take it the first time to "a bike repair centre" (what is that btw: you're local bike shop?) could be sharpened up too.
They should have spotted the cables needed replacement first time though.
Learn to do it yourself.

ozboz

Guru
I had a crap £200 + service from a local bs in Richmond , had to take it back twice and got crap excuses , the most annoying was I paid for a new BB and installation on their recommendation, and it never happened, more fool me , at the time I should have perused it and got my money back , I do all myself now, it’s all on youtube or GCN,

snorri

Legendary Member
My backside a first year rookie should have spotted that. Im now taking my bike to another centre. I guess service is questionable these days.
How do you know if the other centre will do a good job for you?
I would be taking it back to the shop to complain or ask for a refund, you owe it to your fellow cyclists. The shop will not improve their service if customers accept shoddy work without critical comment. It's the customers responsibility to report the problem, not to diagnose the fault.
If you don't complain, other cyclists will be inconvenienced, just as you were.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Good question. What can you service or repair on a front mech?

I'm dead against the whole idea of "servicing" a bike. A car will continue driving reliably and all you need to do is change the oils and filters and renew worn brakes but a bike is a delicate assembly of parts, which needs constant tweaking as things wear. If you allow it to reach the stage where it needs a full refurbishment you're guilty of neglect; to then hand it to a distracted teenager in a busy shop and expect them to put it right is even worse a mistake.

I once had a problem with front gears not changing properly. Took it to a shop who said they had fixed it. Gawd knows how they could think let alone claim that as the first ride showed that they hadn't.

I took my ignorant blinkers off and had a good peer at the business end.

It turned out that the join in the metal bottle cage had broken and that the resultant prong was obstructing the front mech's movement. Changed the water bottle and then all was fine. Since then I have done most things myself.

Not hard with The Park Book of Bicycle Maintenance and a pair of open eyes.

Ok, thanks vickster.

I do wish folks would put their approx lo on their profile* it's hardly pinpoint stalking data.

* And not those super clever cryptic clue things.

For anyone else

Take a bow mr vaidas and his mech skills.

Saved a couple of my bikes, nice modest chap to deal with, very close to an overground stop so even worth travelling some distance for.

http://www.vaidasbicycles.com

Top Bottom