Crappy Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My road bike is terrible at stopping in the wet at the moment.

I've got some Giant PR2 wheels that are low mileage.

The Clarks brake blocks are new.

Coming down some wet muddy descents, I really struggled.

Are there any decent wet weather brake blocks I can invest in?

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak

New bike needed

Just joking ..but I changed from blocks to disc and it is a different world.

pawl

Legendary Member

I run Ultegra brakes.The blocks are Shimano and are fine in the wet.

Just remember to brake earlier to alow the blocks too wipe away excessive water from the rims
same with my Campag brakes

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm normally a bit sceptical when people extol subtle differences in components, like the difference to "ride" that a different kind of tyre makes. I often suspect a bit of wine-connoisseur style bluster (Oh! the fruits! Oh! the oak! Oh, Shut up!), or that I am incredibly insensitive (or both).

Anyway, I fitted some Swisstop BXP blue brake blocks recently, and they really did make a difference that even I could detect. Braking felt more positive and less like I was using lumps of coal as brake blocks. But maybe I'm subconsciously making it all up, to reward myself for doing a bit of maintenance.

I can't remember what my previous blocks were. Shimano own brand I think. Or perhaps I was using lumps of coal, I forget.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
clean the rims (and blocks) with meths. If blocks are old, replace. If questionable brand, replace. I concur that swissstops are pretty good, but to be fair I thought my oe shimano blocks were OK. cheapo crappy blocks canbe markedly inferior. Adjust correctly and check the cable is moving ok. Discs may (or may not) be better still but well fettled rim brakes are pretty good even in the wet.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I second that, Profp!

I had a near miss in the wet on a local 20% descent which led straight onto a busy A-road! My front wheel was poking out of the junction into the traffic by the time I managed to stop ... :eek:

The problem was due to filthy rims. I scrubbed them and got all sorts of black, greasy crap off them. After that, braking was fine. I've got a picture somewhere of what I managed to get off my wheels. I'll see if I can find it.

Here you go ... These were clean white baby wipes before they were used on my dirty wheel rims! :laugh:

baby-wipes-after-cleaning-dirty-wheel-rims-jpg.111195.jpg

Attachments

• baby-wipes-after-cleaning-dirty-wheel-rims-jpg.111195.jpg
    baby-wipes-after-cleaning-dirty-wheel-rims-jpg.111195.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 52

Kajjal

Guru
As above keep everything clean and well maintained. If you do a quick clean with an old towel after each ride it means the bike stays a lot cleaner generally and needs less maintenance.

I weight about 100KG and find rim brakes to be very poor in the wet. My current bike has discs that work very well wet or dry but in heavy rain they honk like a goose when stopping but otherwise no noise at all.

DRM

Guru
My Giant Defy had the factory fitted Tektro calipers which were rubbish, no matter how diligently you kept the rims clean, I swapped them for Shimano 105's which were a vast improvement, and I think give the best price to performance ratio, I did look at Ultegras but comments on both Chain Reaction & Wiggle suggested that the small weight saving didn't really justify paying nearly twice as much and that performance wise there was no discernable difference.

mynydd

Veteran
Clarks pads are rubbish. I was having terrible problems with mine in a cantelever set up. This picture is a new pad, and one after less than a week of wet riding!!!
I replaced them with koolstops, as advised here, and the difference is amazing. The bike stops, and there is virtually no wear after two weeks of daily wet weather riding.
IMG_0898.JPG

wonderloaf

Veteran
My Giant Defy had the factory fitted Tektro calipers which were rubbish, no matter how diligently you kept the rims clean, I swapped them for Shimano 105's which were a vast improvement, and I think give the best price to performance ratio, I did look at Ultegras but comments on both Chain Reaction & Wiggle suggested that the small weight saving didn't really justify paying nearly twice as much and that performance wise there was no discernable difference.
This exactly what I did, got a pair of as new (after cleaning) 105 5800 calipers off ebay for under £30, fitted them using the old brake blocks and the difference is quite marked. Just need to get some decent blocks now.

Top Bottom