Crazy, stupid or brave, anyone else done this....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Go for it, life is too short to waste. We have done something similar ourselves, although a few years older than you. Simpler, easier, more fulfilling lives is what we aim to have.

I had a small engineering business that I’d been trying to sell, and that came to fruition last December. So I walked away. Decent enough sum but still owed a fair amount which I get on a monthly drip feed (I think of it a a pension income)

My wife retired from the NHS in June but does 9/10 hours a week as an online health coach for a commercial diabetes/obesity programme. Quite lucrative.

Put my wife’s income, pensions and investments together and we’ve got enough. Not rich but enough for our needs.

Kids have flown and aren’t coming back, no sign of any grandchildren yet. Both sets of our parents are gone. We’re free! So we decided to sell our family home in Oxfordshire and relocate and downsize to Somerset/Dorset.

However, thought we’d take the opportunity to go off on a bit of an adventure first, so bought a camper van (converted Citroen Relay) and headed off. France, Spain, Portugal, Spain, France, Germany, Belgium, home. 12 weeks. Wouldn’t have come back but insurance limits us to 90 day trips, we had some admin to attend to, and we need to find somewhere to live before winter bites.

Now home, living in our van or with family/friends until we get ourselves sorted.

Plan is simpler life. Smaller more manageable house, enjoy our health whilst we have it, and go off on more van adventures. The conclusion we have come to is that we are ruining our lives with accumulation of ‘stuff’. Living frugally in a van taught is that you don’t need much to enjoy life.

Last edited:
go for it...…. and to hell with what if . ^^^^shame I can only give the post above 1 like^^^^

screenman

Legendary Member
I should add we did it 31 years ago, walked away from a successful stressful business (2 car sites and a waste clearance business) and moved up to Lincolnshire we were 32 and 33 at the time, no regrets about getting rid of the stress but I hope we will not be in Lincolnshire much longer, those big grey skies play havoc with my SAD. Compared with the west of the country we find the area not as chipper and cheerful or anywhere near as inviting.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Crazy do you know how far it is to the King Power stadium :okay:.
Seriously an exciting decision wishing you all the best .

Another excellent reason to move to Norfolk.

Good luck @Broughtonblue

Top Bottom