Crazy, stupid or brave, anyone else done this....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Its an inspiration to be sure, every time i roll into work i die a little inside but im stuck in the family / work cycle and cant see a way out.

Slick

Guru
Its an inspiration to be sure, every time i roll into work i die a little inside but im stuck in the family / work cycle and cant see a way out.
Can't believe that still happens. It might take some time but you really should start planning your exit strategy now.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
If you have thought it through and it is what you both want, then go for it. The main downside, for me, would be not being close to family. As you get older (and more prone to illness and mobility issues) being near family, especially your children, becomes more important. Hopefully that is some way off yet.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Working in a care home has changed my outlook on life somewhat, watching lives wasting away on a slippery slope from which there is no chance of recovery. To rub salt in, the Government take your life savings and your home to pay for the "privilege" of this unwanted extension to your life.

Well, feck that. My plan is to jack in work at the age of 60 and live off the income from a pension from a previous job, which helps to pay the bills. I also plan to sell my flat and move into rented accommodation, thereby having the lump sum from the sale to fritter away on life's little pleasures. I have no dependents to worry about. I would be delighted to have maximum overdraft and zero possessions of any value on the day of my death.

You're a long time dead, as they say in these parts; so good on you @Broughtonblue for having the balls to do what I imagine most people would like to do but are afraid to take the risk. Brave, I would say.

So my wife and I are in our early 50's, both in jobs we've had enough of, so we've both decided to quit them, put the house up for sale and move. Neither of us have a decent pension but will have enough savings to live off for a couple of years whilst we get used to our new surroundings, and build a new life in our new community. We then plan to get part time jobs and enjoy everything the North Norfolk coast and broads have to offer. Neither of us family over there and leaving all family and friends behind. But will buy a property with plenty of space for regular visits from friends and family. As the title suggests, crazy or brave?

Some of you will know ive had a few health issues over the last few years so this is our way of making a completely fresh new start

Good on you. I was in Norwich recently. That whole neck of the woods has some nice areas.

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
Thanks for all of your replies, all mostly positive ^_^, few things to pick up. Someone said as we get older and have issues being near your children is important, ive seen the flip side to this, ive seen the person having to go round their elderly parents at least twice a day and be on call 24/7 and there us no way i would want to tie my kids to this.

Since i met my now wife 4 years ago we have been on some amazing holidays, Dubai, Vegas, married on a private island in the Seychelles, cruise to see the northern lights, to name a few, but cant keep spending 1000's however nice they are. So with my wife having never been blessed to have children and her being such a caring step mum to my grown up boys, we decided on our plan, but with a new puppy in tow as well. Its so fantastic to see her with something that depends on her and that she can shower with love and affection after wanting one all her life.

And we will be coming back quite regularly as we are keeping our season tickets on at the mighty LCFC , we are also buying property with plenty of space for the loads of friends that have so far booked to come and see us.

I will miss my elderly parents as my wife will miss her mum, but it is only about 2 1/2 hours drive so not the end of the world ( although judging by some of the comments on here Norfolk is :tongue:)

My lads are grown up forging their own lives so are not so relient on me, and when we do move and money is a bit more scarce they poss wont want to know me as much :tongue:

Smudge

Veteran
Nothing wrong with Norfolk, a mate of mine is from there. I also got to know his sister, who is also his wife. Which i can relate to living in Somerset.
Joke FFS so calm down..... he's actually married to his cousin. Their cross eyed kids are lovely.

Seriously, good luck with it. Sometimes you just have to make that leap for change.

Top Bottom