Crazy, stupid or brave, anyone else done this....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Yeah I did it. Sold a couple of houses, a business and a home before moving on and starting again. 5 years ago now and I've never regretted it for a single second but I didn't really appreciate just how long it would take to fully integrate into new surroundings. It can be strange being the new boy, I think Mrs Slick is still finding her feet a bit as well but it definitely is all for the better and worth while. Good luck.

Slick

Guru
Think hard, 1 in 7 people in Norfolk suffer from depression, there are cheerier places to live, the east coast can be a harsh place in winter.
I've seen a number of people make the same mistake when doing the opposite to my move.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would not say do not do it, best thing I ever did but with hindsight it would not have been the east coast. The first 20 years were fine but the area is not what it once was, in fact can anyone list a really nice town on the east coast above Suffolk.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I would not say do not do it, best thing I ever did but with hindsight it would not have been the east coast. The first 20 years were fine but the area is not what it once was, in fact can anyone list a really nice town on the east coast above Suffolk.
Yep, Wells Next The Sea mind you've got to be pretty well off to afford a place there)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So my wife and I are in our early 50's, both in jobs we've had enough of, so we've both decided to quit them, put the house up for sale and move. Neither of us have a decent pension but will have enough savings to live off for a couple of years whilst we get used to our new surroundings, and build a new life in our new community. We then plan to get part time jobs and enjoy everything the North Norfolk coast and broads have to offer. Neither of us family over there and leaving all family and friends behind. But will buy a property with plenty of space for regular visits from friends and family. As the title suggests, crazy or brave?

Some of you will know ive had a few health issues over the last few years so this is our way of making a completely fresh new start

Why not ? So long as you're not going to end up totally destitute it sounds like a very fine plan - an adventure for the both of you - and something will come up work or income wise if you're flexible enough in your thinking.

But as with others i'm wondering about the east coast ?? its a bit flat and windy for cycling isn't it??
but thats just my prejudice perhaps - i live in an already hilly county - Devon (which is now officially full up btw ) - and prefer to go to even hillier places for recreation - eg Scottish and European moontins.

But wouldn't it be dull if we were all the same - not to mention very crowded in just the one place that happened to be everyones favorite.

Good luck whatever you do.

Good for you! Wish I had the guts to do something similar. I happened to catch the first episode of The Good Life the other day and after hearing Tom's idea and having a think Barbara said something to the effect of "There's a million reasons why we shouldn't do it but if we think about them all we'll be dead before we do anything, so let's just go for it."
Go for it and good luck :okay:

Quite so - i too had a 'Tom and Barbara' realisation of how short life is - but at the somewhat younger age of seventeen -
i ran away from home, to 'muck about' in the countryside - and have a 'good life' - i've not regretted it yet - I'm now a deeply childish fifty year old... :cycle:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Never had the privilege of speaking with him, but by all accounts Vernon was a damn nice guy. Had plans after his retirement. Died shortly after retiring.
To hell with the consequences, live life as best you can while you can.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Just do it. I worked with several guys who worked to 65, but sadly died within a few years.
We started our plan in 2014 and finally uppedsticks and downsized in 2017.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
All 3. Crazy, stupid and brave.

I did the same thing 16 years ago and moved to Denmark. I left banking and learnt how to make yacht sails.

I like to work, so I didnt retire. Its not hard work and I get a lot of time off. It keeps me occupied.

The best thing is that you are both on board and one is not forcing the other.

My advice is to be flexible and if one of you wants to return to some kind of work. Do it.

Top Bottom