Creaking pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've been riding with the same set of clip-less spd's for years, including a good stint of MTB riding (lots of air and big bumps).

My pedal (at least I think it's them and not the crank) have started to creak a bit when put under pressure.

If I shift my foot angle it stops the creak, but I cant do this a lot as it plays havoc with my knees (I only do it if they are creaking a lot, say on an uphill section).

When I lube the pedal it stops the creaking for a day…literally one day..

So, what do you think?

Is it time to invest in a new set of SPD's or should I try to service these with new ball-bearings or something similar.

Thanks

Jonny

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
What lube are you using Jonny?

Try putting a generous dose of finish line teflon grease in the crank threads. If that doesn't solve it it may be worth getting a new pair of Pedals - I don't use SPD's so wouldn't be able to advise re bearings etc but have a spare set of used Spd's knocking about my place if you want them for a small fee. However, the grease should sort you out - sounds like the lube you're using isn't sticking around long enough

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
ttcycle said:
What lube are you using Jonny?

Try putting a generous dose of finish line teflon grease in the crank threads. If that doesn't solve it it may be worth getting a new pair of Pedals - I don't use SPD's so wouldn't be able to advise re bearings etc but have a spare set of used Spd's knocking about my place if you want them for a small fee. However, the grease should sort you out - sounds like the lube you're using isn't sticking around long enough

Hi TT.

I'm using a selection of Finish line wet (in the little green bottle) and the dry lube spray (big red can). I guess I should try the teflon grease option first (before I start upsetting chitty by swapping parts!).

I shall pop across to the LBS in Kensington later today and pick up something there.

Thanks for the advice.

PS, if it persists, I may take you up on the spd offer...thanks:smile:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Jonny, definitely in that case get some teflon grease.

the wet lube is best for the chain (I recommend Finish Line Pro Road ceramic wet lube) and the dry lube is good for nuts and bolts, chasing out extra oil etc? Each lube has a specific function!!

You'll need the grease for the pedal spindles/crank threads as that will stick around the metal parts as it's thick enough whereas the other stuff you're using won't last. Sounds like the pedal spindles need some lubrication as it's metal grinding against metal and the lubes' you've used aren't lasting in the metal threads.

Hope this sorts out the problem otherwise PM me about the spds!

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
ttcycle said:
Jonny, definitely in that case get some teflon grease.

the wet lube is best for the chain (I recommend Finish Line Pro Road ceramic wet lube) and the dry lube is good for nuts and bolts, chasing out extra oil etc? Each lube has a specific function!!

You'll need the grease for the pedal spindles/crank threads as that will stick around the metal parts as it's thick enough whereas the other stuff you're using won't last. Sounds like the pedal spindles need some lubrication as it's metal grinding against metal and the lubes' you've used aren't lasting in the metal threads.

Hope this sorts out the problem otherwise PM me about the spds!

As ever TT, thanks for your help

I have the same problem, but with new Shimano SPD pedals on a new bike - I believe its my shoe (only LH side) and not the pedal. I can only think it’s the sole (Specialized MTB shoe) somehow creaking on the pedal but I coated it with candlewax which helped briefly but its back again. I'm stumped.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Nope......it's the cleat/pedal interface and is a well-known problem with some pedals. My M324' drove me crazy on my tourer, and I eventually swapped them out for A530's which I have no problems with. Strangely, when I put the M324's on my hybrid, the squeak happens only occasionally.

Rip Van

Guru
I had the same problem with my Wellgoe? spd's from wiggle.
With mine it was the flat plate on the pedal that contacts the flat base of the cleat, that had worked loose. You couldn't tell by looking at it but I've managed maybe a turn or so with an allen key each time the problem occurred, which has cured it every time so far. Maybe taking the screws out and putting threadlock on them would cure it for longer?:rolleyes:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I've not had this problem specifically but the only thing I could think of would be to get some teflon grease on the threads of the screw that go through the cleat plates? Maybe the same problem as Jonny but in a different area? Careful with how much you put on though as you don't want the cleat plate to be sticky and greasy.

Top Bottom