Creaking pressfit bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently swapped out the stock BB from my 2014 Giant Defy 1 this week after it developed a creak, this is the first time I have had to do so in 6k miles of riding on the bike. I replaced the stock BB71-41B with a BB92-41B(BB86). The creak disappeared, for a whole 20 miles or so and has returned with a vengeance.

Do these press fit BBs require grease or threadlock for creak free operation? The interwebs is full of misinformation and conflicting advice, so hoping for some expert opinion.

And yes, I have already ruled out:

Pedal creaks
Headset creaks
Chainring bolt creaks
Seat post/clamp creaks
Saddle rail creaks
Crank bolt creaks
Drop out creaks.

It definitely seems to be originating from the BB, only under power, in or out of the saddle, and hands on or off the bars.

U

User6179

My creak on the same BB comes and goes, came back the other day , usually creaks for a few days after I have been out cycling in the rain.

Next one I fit I am going to smear some silicon around it before I press it into the frame.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Sorry should have known better and searched first. Mod feel free to close thread.

So it's just a design flaw. Right. I'm running this bike into the ground and getting something with an external BB next time. I've had it with giant frames!

Last edited:
Top Bottom