Noisy BB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
went out today for a ride round the park , a noise began , sort of creaking ,rattling on the down stroke of the nearside pedal from the BB , now as the bike only done 100 or so miles im a bit mystified , the bike is a Carbon fibre BH RV1 , Ive checked for anything loose or running out of alignment but all is ok there , the noise is from the BB area of the frame , but only on the downward stroke as said , I will be taking it back to shop , but any ideas ? The chainset is a hollowtech job ,

Last edited:

Flyboy

I had the same with my carbon MTB , and it was the BB, it just needed tightening up very very slightly.

gazza1286

Creaking on a carbon frame can also ordignate from the seat post against the frame. I had this which I'd initially put down to coming from around the BB. This post just needed a coating of fibre grip. Problem solved.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
As above that gazza1286 said but also is your BB threaded or press fit......!!!
Do not know what fit it is ,bit there are no visible locking rings like my other hollowtech , so is say its pushfit
Im not game to play around with it , ill let the shop fix it ,
Edit , ive looked and it is a pressfit ,
So .....

Last edited:
OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Live with it. The shop cannot fix it. The best they can do is temporarily silence it by removing it and greasing it. Press-fit BB is a major design flaw and the world is full of disillusioned customers.

Dont think I can live with it , drive me mad , I will see what he can do , if it cannot be rectified , then it will have to go back ,

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Who are you calling noisy?

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Live with it. The shop cannot fix it. The best they can do is temporarily silence it by removing it and greasing it. Press-fit BB is a major design flaw and the world is full of disillusioned customers.

That is exactly what was said , so no , not impressed in a way , weather was partly to blame , but I did point out its hardly done any miles , so I will see ,

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
The weather is innocent. Pressfit BBs are designed to misbehave from Day 1. I'm not kidding, it is not a wear and tear or age issue. It is in the DNA. Stupid, stupid, stupid design.
This issue is well noted on the net , I managed to get it in the shop about an hour ago , ill call him tom and see what he says,

gbb

Legendary Member
I've just replaced my BB, same as the last two: FSA MegaExo - fitted by the dealer in January, 300km ago. Not sure of the model number. It's creaking like crazy. Am I stuck with it, too?
The Mega Exo (If it's the BB4000) has the cheapest nastiest bearings inside it, uncaged balls and poor sealing. They ALWAYS played up. I replaced the bearings with quality ones, I never had a problem again. Trouble is, is not a job most people have access to the tools you need to do it.

The Mega Exo (If it's the BB4000) has the cheapest nastiest bearings inside it, uncaged balls and poor sealing. They ALWAYS played up. I replaced the bearings with quality ones, I never had a problem again. Trouble is, is not a job most people have access to the tools you need to do it.
Thanks.

I guess I'm just resigned to replacing it every 15,000km.

But hopefully not 300km.

Top Bottom