Noisy BB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
My answer would be to strip the frame of all salvageable components and build up around a new frameset with a traditional threaded BB. I have been wanting to get a steel road frame for a while, something a bit more nimble than my tourer, and this recent experience with the press fit style BB has made me realise that I should do it sooner rather than later.
This is my alternative to a carbon bike and the associated problems. Light and nimble and a doddle to fettle.

14921207047_780dae53af_z.jpg

I don't think those axles were made from mild steel.
The ones I had seemed to be.
Or cheese.
Might have been cheese.

The Mega Exo (If it's the BB4000) has the cheapest nastiest bearings inside it, uncaged balls and poor sealing. They ALWAYS played up. I replaced the bearings with quality ones, I never had a problem again. Trouble is, is not a job most people have access to the tools you need to do it.

Do you mind me asking which quality bearings you used @gbb ?

Do you know how many times have you replaced the bearings and at what kind of mileage intervals? And have you swapped the whole BB out for a new one at any point or have just new bearings sufficed so far?

gbb

Legendary Member
Do you mind me asking which quality bearings you used @gbb ?

Do you know how many times have you replaced the bearings and at what kind of mileage intervals? And have you swapped the whole BB out for a new one at any point or have just new bearings sufficed so far?
The BB400 was notorious for some, getting as little as 1000 miles before they gave out apparently. Mine managed 1800 miles. I used SKF bearings but I have access to the trade so got a really good price. Most decent bearing outlets will have or get them. I had the bike for probably thousands of miles after and never had to touch them again.
If you know which bearing you need, let me know, I have quite a few, perhaps I have the ones you need....id be happy to let you have them FOC, I'll never use them again, different bike, BB etc now.

Top Bottom