Noisy BB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do put a bead of grease around the collars to help prevent water getting in though

No, never do that. Grease is not to be used as a waterproofing agent, especially where there is relative movement between components. The reason is that grease easily emulsifies in the presence of water and movement. Emulsified grease is bad news in that it prevents water from evaporating and thus preserving its presence to do damage over the long term. An emulsified grease joint is in other words, permanently wet. Wetness not only promotes oxidation type corrosion (rust etc) but also promotes very damaging galvanic action. This applies to carbon and aluminium in particular.

U

User6179

No, never do that. Grease is not to be used as a waterproofing agent, especially where there is relative movement between components. The reason is that grease easily emulsifies in the presence of water and movement. Emulsified grease is bad news in that it prevents water from evaporating and thus preserving its presence to do damage over the long term. An emulsified grease joint is in other words, permanently wet. Wetness not only promotes oxidation type corrosion (rust etc) but also promotes very damaging galvanic action. This applies to carbon and aluminium in particular.

What do you think of some silicon around the collars instead of grease ?

I note Specialized have gone back to external threaded BB cups in this year's MTB's ! Sound move.

This is very good news indeed. If....

I say if because I have not followed the company for some time so I don't know about this move. If the new bikes have standard old BSA threaded BBs, then good. If Spesh has once again come up with a proprietary system, then bad.

U

User6179

Silicon is a hard crystalline substance. How will you get it in there?

I don't want it in , just around the outside where the bb presses up against the frame , I think but not sure but when pedaling in the rain the nylon cups deform just enough to let moisture in between the bb shell and the nylon cup then you get the creak for a few days until it dries out , thinking silicon would stop this happening .

I don't want it in , just around the outside where the bb presses up against the frame , I think but not sure but when pedaling in the rain the nylon cups deform just enough to let moisture in between the bb shell and the nylon cup then you get the creak for a few days until it dries out , thinking silicon would stop this happening .

I was just pulling your leg a bit and was fishing for a computer chip retort of sorts.

You do mean silicone, don't you? More probably, silicone sealant that applies as toothpaste but dries as rubber.

Yes, that would keep water out of the joint, provided it doesn't enter via the seatpost.

However, water is not the culprit but relative movement (fretting) between the frame and BB. There is plenty of squirm between the two and they will fret, no matter what. A non-emulsifier grease helps in the short term to prevent noise (not fretting, it only lubricates the fretting) but fretting by nature moves grease away and never replenishes it, so soon the creaking will come back. A ball bearing constantly re-circulates grease pushed out of pressure faces because of its design. A BB doesn't have such features. It is a basket case of design. I have no answer to the problem and I suspect there is no answer.

Last edited:
I have no answer to the problem and I suspect there is no answer.

My answer would be to strip the frame of all salvageable components and build up around a new frameset with a traditional threaded BB. I have been wanting to get a steel road frame for a while, something a bit more nimble than my tourer, and this recent experience with the press fit style BB has made me realise that I should do it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is very good news indeed. If....

I say if because I have not followed the company for some time so I don't know about this move. If the new bikes have standard old BSA threaded BBs, then good. If Spesh has once again come up with a proprietary system, then bad.

GXP XR 73mm BB (Enduro model).

Quote "and made "old" new again by making a triumphant return to a threaded bottom bracket"

GXP XR 73mm BB (Enduro model).

Quote "and made "old" new again by making a triumphant return to a threaded bottom bracket"
This is truly excellent news, with a caveat. I'm glad a big influential company like Spez did it. Maybe now the pressfit BB supporters will wake up and hear the silence.

Unfortunately that bike is fitted with the truly dreadful GXP system. However, anyone can just ditch the GCP and go Hollowtech quite easily.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is truly excellent news, with a caveat. I'm glad a big influential company like Spez did it. Maybe now the pressfit BB supporters will wake up and hear the silence.

Unfortunately that bike is fitted with the truly dreadful GXP system. However, anyone can just ditch the GCP and go Hollowtech quite easily.

It's a start getting threaded BBs back.

Top Bottom