Creaking seatpost or saddle rail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Thanks Ranger. I'll bear that in mind ! If they start going on a regular basis I may see about getting them rebuilt or replaced with something stronger.

Picked up a handful of new spokes today and will replace the broken one tomorrow at some point. (I also picked up a CO2 inflator to prevent any further Cyclaire rage should I have any further UDEs before my Road Morph pump arrives.)

sjb

Ranger said:
I bought an SCR at the weekend through our bike to work scheme, but had a chat about them to my LBS mechanic (who isn't supplying the bike). His one negative comment to me was regarding the wheels, they expect to rebuild them for anyone over about 11st as they are not particularly strong and need the spokes replacing for another type. At this point he went into technical details and everything got a bit hazy, but I think I nodded at the right bits:blush:

Naaa, had my scr2 for a year now, 1200 miles and only one slightly loose spoke on the rear wheel, and I weigh 15st 7lbs! Just bad luck I reckon. Stick with it, a great bike!

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Fingers crossed then !

It is a great bike - if only I could eliminate the saddle/seatpost creak now that started last week and has been driving me mad....

Greased seatpost - check.
Greased saddle-rail, saddle-clamp and bolt - check.
Greased seatpost clamp and bolt - check.
WD40 sprayed into points where rail goes into saddle - check.

Put forward or backward pressure on saddle / seatpost - creak !! Arghhhhh ;)

sjb

This might not help, but mine has had a similar creak since day one, never managed to sort it out - I guess I have managed to tune-out to it now, doesn't bug me anymore now I'm confident something isn't about to drop off.....

beancounter

small fish said:
Hmm interesting...

Hope you don't mind if I jump in with a similar query (rather than start a new thread.)

I too have an irritating creak... I first thought it was coming from the saddle but it still happens when I'm out of the saddle, and it is only when I'm pushing hard on the right pedal.

I hadn't thought about it coming from the handlebars - what should I tighten/loosen/investigate - the bolts at either end of the stem?

I find that my cleats creak in the pedals...

bc

Chiefwiggum

I've had my SCR 2 for about a year, I weight 106kg (17 stone-ish), had no problems with wheels. I run on 23 x 700 tyres that do sometimes take a hit, but all seems OK. I did replace the saddle with an after market selle and that does creak a bit, just got use to it.

chris42

You may also want to check your bottle cages, sounds strange but as the frame flexes they can make strange noises, lube the threads and I put a tiny bit on the cage itself.
Hope it helps.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

The creaking is much-reduced today after I lubed the points where the saddle-rails go into the saddle and raised the saddle a little. Still a little creaking coming from somewhere around the saddle / seatpost area, but nothing like as screamingly loud as it was !

Thanks for the bottle-cage tip - I'll check that out too.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
goo_mason said:
The creaking is much-reduced today after I lubed the points where the saddle-rails go into the saddle and raised the saddle a little. Still a little creaking coming from somewhere around the saddle / seatpost area, but nothing like as screamingly loud as it was !

Thanks for the bottle-cage tip - I'll check that out too.

You sure its not you knees creaking getting used to the new bike ? :tongue:

Top Bottom