Credit card rebilling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gf1959

Hi all,hopefully someone might know about this;

If some organisation auto-rebills your credit card,without even warning you first,what do you
do if you can't cancel it? In this case a provided phone number which nobody ever answers.
Will a credit card company allow you to cancel the rebilling,or will you have to cancel the
card,or just say it's stolen?
I'm assuming once a card is stopped,then no one can take money from it,even when
they try to rebill it?
I won't be making this mistake again....
Cheers,
Geoff

Trekvet

I should imagine; if you say your card is lost/stolen then they will cancel it, and if you say it is in some way, in your opinion, being mis-used then they will cancel it. Cancel/stop it same thing, the time and date recorded you are safe from that minute. You are their costumer and they would risk losing you if they didn't act on your wishes/instructions. 'Least that my opinion (of how mine works).

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Hi all,hopefully someone might know about this;

If some organisation auto-rebills your credit card,without even warning you first,what do you
do if you can't cancel it? In this case a provided phone number which nobody ever answers.
Will a credit card company allow you to cancel the rebilling,or will you have to cancel the
card,or just say it's stolen?
I'm assuming once a card is stopped,then no one can take money from it,even when
they try to rebill it?
I won't be making this mistake again....
Cheers,
Geoff

Have a look here -> CLICK ME for some advice.

Continuous payments on credit cards are an incestuous thing. I've had a card cancelled (as I'd mislaid it), and a new card issued, with a new number, and found the credit card company moved across automatically the auto payments from the old card.

Technically, the provider has to cancel the arrangement with the credit card company, so what you should do is write a letter to the company which is collecting the payment, telling them you don't want their services, and they should stop collecting any money. Send a copy of that letter to your credit card company telling them not to honour any further requests for funds.

yello

I've had a card cancelled (as I'd mislaid it), and a new card issued, with a new number, and found the credit card company moved across automatically the auto payments from the old card.

They do indeed, and you can appreciate why. Otherwise people could report a lost/stolen card just after making big purchase. You have to contest the transaction. In fairness, it's usually a straightforward procedure - ime at least.

OP
OP
G

gf1959

Thanks all,i guess i'll have to ring nationwide and hope they can stop it,hope this doesn't prove a nightmare.

OP
OP
G

gf1959

I've just phoned n/wide and explained the problem,the guy said the easiest way is to cancel the card
and they'll issue a new one,with new number,so i agreed to that.
He still couldn't totally guarantee this will stop any payments,but they will dispute it if it happens.
In the meantime i should keep trying to phone the company myself,fruitless so far.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
This sort of thing is the biggest problem I have with using credit cards for reccuring payments, the banks can stop the payments if they want to.

It is about time something like the Direct Debit Guarantee is put in place for credit and debit cards.

Night Train

Maker of Things
My Dad had this problem with an internet service bill with AOL. He had to close his card account in the end and switch to a different card company.

Top Bottom