Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
1) no one chases something like that in 1st match of a 2 day series - too much to lose..

2) 275 off 75 was a significantly higher run rate that anyone had scored at during the game, including NZ 2nd innings where they had just lost 6 wickets getting to 169 off 52 overs, and they were presumably trying to score at a decent lick to set up a declaration, yet were slower than the target they left us

Luckily you're not England cricket captain so we can all rest easy ahead of the 2nd test.

Sure, the match could have been lost, but as I said, I don't care.

I'd rather England had a crack at winning rather than the terrible effort we saw.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I see Robinson has now been joined by up to four others possibly involved in twitter twattery.

The ECB needs to be careful because they may end up with half a team in social media inspired purdah.

I haven't seen details of the latest "twattery", but if they were sufficiently twattish twats, then unfortunately ECB will have to take action.
If they lose the next 5 Tests as a result, so be it - sad for everyone, of course. Sometimes boys will be boys, but they're playing with the grownups.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Apparently Jimmy Anderson compared Stuart Broads’ haircut to a 15 year old lesbian.

Not a very clever thing to put on Twitter. But. Hardly the hate crime of the century.

It’s the sort of joke you hear anywhere.

As the 2nd test kicks off, we need to celebrate our hundred on the board, with Andy hitting the crucial post - hopefully he's in for a long innings:
1623322701458.png

England have made a steady start, 23-0. Earlier the Guardian's Geoff Lemon (no, me neither) posted a good summary of the Robinson situation, pros-n-cons, warts-n-all
I’m sure we’ll get plenty of emails about Ollie Robinson today – the best bowling performer with seven wickets and a crucial batting innings in his debut Test, and now missing. So I’ll put a few things on the board.

One point of view is that it’s disproportionate and unfair to punish a player in his later 20s for saying stupid things when he was 18. Which makes some sense given the near-universal tendency of 18-year-olds to say and do some pretty stupid things on occasion, which shouldn’t be held against them for life.

When it comes to racism though, being able to treat it as just a silly mistake is a privilege that only some teenagers have. Those on the receiving end know the damage it can do. So Robinson’s comments still say something about the environment in which younger English cricketers are growing up.

As for the timing, while he wrote those things some years ago, they’re current to people who have just read them. When you write something down it retains immediacy for the reader, whenever they find it. Intention can be taken into account to an extent, but not entirely. Of course nobody was interested in his posts when he was a teenager, but people are interested once he becomes a national representative for a high-profile team.

Missing a Test match that you were already going to be rotated out of is not a punishment. Nor is it really supposed to be a punishment, it’s a measure so that the ECB can fully investigate and find out whether there are other Robinson problems that could emerge. Thirdly, had the ECB done nothing and let him roll into this current Test, the message to anyone in England who has been subject to racism would be that it doesn’t matter, and they don’t matter, ahead of the needs and wants of white people.

It isn’t really about Robinson, in the end, it’s about being a representative national player. And in that sense, others have been found wanting as well. A lot of the argument against confronting this has come from people with no skin in the game. Confronting it isn’t about wanting to see individual players in trouble, it’s about wanting the whole standard to lift across the board, so that the people who actually need things to improve can see that happen.

Crazy stat from the 1st morning:

Lunch – England 67 for 0
An excellent session for England, the first time since 2011 that their openers have batted through the first session of a home Test.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A curiosity in the scores. 4 batters have reached the low 80s and perished*. The highest score so far is 82.

Less said about England's performance today the better...

*Lawrence was not out but, with the absence of anyone to bat with, he was also not in.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Oh dear, looks like the New Zealanders fancy a couple of days off.

I'm aware the likes of Stokes, Woakes, and Buttler are 'resting' after having not played very much in the Indian Premier League.

Do we have any top order batsmen similarly in the pits?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Seems we need a new one day team for the games against Pakistan thanks to seven positive Covid tests.

Our world leading one day squad has enormous depth, but changing all 11 will be a real test, particularly against Pakistan who are a much stronger team than Sri Lanka.

At least we get Stokesy back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57732043

T4tomo

Legendary Member
hopefully get a post isolated Root Bairstow Adil & Willey back for some Yorkshire cricket, but I doubt it.....

gavgav

Guru
Anyone watched any of The Hundred?. When it was first announced, I thought it was unlikely to be my thing, sounded very Americanised and mostly about money……Sat down to watch a bit of a game on Thursday evening, fireworks, flashing lights, garish graphics all over the screen, “sets” instead of “overs”, coverage cut away to an interview and missed a wicket…….it’s definitely not for me!

D

Deleted member 1258

Anyone watched any of The Hundred?. When it was first announced, I thought it was unlikely to be my thing, sounded very Americanised and mostly about money……Sat down to watch a bit of a game on Thursday evening, fireworks, flashing lights, garish graphics all over the screen, “sets” instead of “overs”, coverage cut away to an interview and missed a wicket…….it’s definitely not for me!

Not for me either, I watched the first innings on Thursday then found something more interesting to do.

Top Bottom