Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I still say if the ECB keep making T20 and the Hundred their priority over County Cricket then we are going down a big downward slope.

geocycle

Legendary Member
We’ve not had a great top three for 10 years since Cook, Strauss and Trott. when you are consistently 30-3 you are not going to win many matches. The openers are the main problem and trying to develop them with county matches in spring and early autumn will never Work. Similarly spinners are not going to thrive on green wickets and Swan was the last attacking spinner we have had. On top of that the centrally contracted players are either unavailable for counties or opt to play IPL. Finally we play too many series and the mental stress on players is really starting to tell. Root and Stokes would get into any team, Anderson and Broad have been true greats but need to move on now.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The 2021 test batting stats are woeful.
Joe Root is 1st with 1700 runs.
Rory Burns is the second highest with 3 times fewer runs. And he’s now dropped.
Extras is England’s third highest run scorer this year.

I know very little about cricket, and thus would like to ask a genuine question.
Do the Aussies concentrate solely on "long format" cricket at home? Is that why our "slog every ball" players are performing so dismally?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I know very little about cricket, and thus would like to ask a genuine question.
Do the Aussies concentrate solely on "long format" cricket at home? Is that why our "slog every ball" players are performing so dismally?
No quite a few them also play in the aussie t20 squad and the australia big bash league too………

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Home advantage plays a big part, but England not playing any warm up games looks to have been a mistake.

The two batters who were recalled for the last Test had not faced a ball in competitive conditions in Australia - no wonder they were under cooked.

By common consent Root is a rubbish captain, and the likes of Silverwood on the coaching side are not too clever.

Putting county cricket back at the heart of the domestic season would help in the longer term, but dodgy selection and tactical ineptitude played a big part in the three losses.

I would disagree. I don't read much cricket press, but the pundits are broadly supportive ("average" perhaps, but not rubbish). I AM biased though, as he is a truly fine fellow!

I can't see how you can criticise the team selection, when we are so woefully lacking in good openers. AUS have 2 guys with 60 averages!
I don’t think the problem is a lack of good openers per se but the fact that the system, as it is, allows inadequate and mediocre batsmen get to the highest level in cricket with a poor technique, lack of application and mental toughness.
With an improved foundation, decent batsmen will come through.
Australia manage it (in all formats) due to having strong grade and state competitions, and an, apparently, in-built ability to dig deep and fight, giving them the confidence that they seem to exude in all/most sports.
Just touching on ‘quick’ cricket for a moment, it’s no surprise that those formats are particularly helpful to the batsman (with big bats, short boundaries, limited overs for bowlers, fielding restrictions, strictly applied laws on bouncers and leg-side wides, a free hit after a no-ball, for example) and instant gratification for the fans, most of whom wouldn’t watch neither Test or county cricket.
I try to compare the ‘dumbing-down’ of cricket to chess: instead of having a 64-square board, whittle it down to 32, or even 16, and reduce the number of pieces accordingly.

It’s ALL about the MONEY! 😡😡

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I don’t think the problem is a lack of good openers per se but the fact that the system, as it is, allows inadequate and mediocre batsmen get to the highest level in cricket with a poor technique, lack of application and mental toughness.
With an improved foundation, decent batsmen will come through.
Australia manage it (in all formats) due to having strong grade and state competitions, and an, apparently, in-built ability to dig deep and fight, giving them the confidence that they seem to exude in all/most sports.
Just touching on ‘quick’ cricket for a moment, it’s no surprise that those formats are particularly helpful to the batsman (with big bats, short boundaries, limited overs for bowlers, fielding restrictions, strictly applied laws on bouncers and leg-side wides, a free hit after a no-ball, for example) and instant gratification for the fans, most of whom wouldn’t watch neither Test or county cricket.
I try to compare the ‘dumbing-down’ of cricket to chess: instead of having a 64-square board, whittle it down to 32, or even 16, and reduce the number of pieces accordingly.

It’s ALL about the MONEY! 😡😡
I think you'll find they are all very good batsmen, but not necessarily in the discipline they are currently playing :whistle:

Got to love a bit of Eric M 😊

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The 2021 test batting stats are woeful.
Joe Root is 1st with 1700 runs.
Rory Burns is the second highest with 3 times fewer runs. And he’s now dropped.
Extras is England’s third highest run scorer this year.
One of the Aussie commentators said that 45 would be a fairly mediocre opening stand...but when you consider that 45 is the total achieved from six opening partnerships...

alchurch

It seems that when an English batsman is due for his innings, he pores himself a cup of tea, lights up a fag and leaves in in the saucer, then leaves the pavilion to start batting

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I would disagree. I don't read much cricket press, but the pundits are broadly supportive ("average" perhaps, but not rubbish). I AM biased though, as he is a truly fine fellow!

I can't see how you can criticise the team selection, when we are so woefully lacking in good openers. AUS have 2 guys with 60 averages!

Wasn't Leach bound to get a thraping?

And what of the wicket keeper?

Buttler cannot be the best we have.

To give two examples of Root, after the first two Tests he said we bowled a bit too short.

The time to tell/instruct/insist the bowler bowls a better length is half way through his first over, not after you've been thrashed in two Tests.

If he did tell them at the time, then he needs to give the bowlers who ignored his instructions a slap on the chops in the privacy of the dressing room.

Sadly, there isn't anyone obviously superior to take his place.

Top Bottom