Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Oh well, all over. But according to the BBC headline we "pushed them all the way", which surprised me because losing by 5 wickets is anything but.

People go on about how great McCullum's tactics are, but that's now 3 wins in 9 Tests against Australia and India which simply isn't good enough. I'm all for entertaining cricket, but just trying to whack it out the park all the time isn't fun, it's stupid.

I also find it interesting that the definition of "Bazball" seems to change regularly. Is it playing to your strengths, aggressively, without fear? Root played to his strengths and scratched us to a respectable total in his first innings, definitely playing to his strengths but not exactly setting the place on fire with gigantic strokes.

AndyRM

XOXO

There's been a few comments on HYS which are doing just that, and I can see their point. It's more than that though.

Persisting with Bairstow is a mistake, one innings aside Pope has done nothing, I don't think our bowling selection was particularly wise, some of Stokes' decision making has been questionable, the third test was just embarrassing and we totally threw this one away.

The win in the first Test papered over a lot of cracks. Lots of little ones perhaps but they add up. I appreciate that India is one of the toughest places to go in world cricket, but it is quite difficult to see many positives in the approach we have taken.

Persisting with Bairstow is a mistake, one innings aside Pope has done nothing, I don't think our bowling selection was particularly wise, some of Stokes' decision making has been questionable, the third test was just embarrassing and we totally threw this one away.
Sorry, but I'm a little slow on the uptake:
Is this a Bazball Whinge? The definition changes so often ...
I appreciate that India is one of the toughest places to go in world cricket, but it is quite difficult to see many positives in the approach we have taken.
Yes, I've heard it's a hard place to win, are there any stats? <googles> ah, interesting. Noone has won a Series in India since 2012.

"Astonishingly, no Test side have won a series in India since, with the home side winning all 16 series and losing only three of the 46 home Tests in that time — twice to Australia, in Pune in 2017 and then last year in Indore, and once to England in Chennai on their last visit in 2021."

Three tests. Bazball must be really bad if it only wins one :laugh:

AndyRM

XOXO
Sorry, but I'm a little slow on the uptake:
Is this a Bazball Whinge? The definition changes so often ...

Yes, I've heard it's a hard place to win, are there any stats? <googles> ah, interesting. Noone has won a Series in India since 2012.

"Astonishingly, no Test side have won a series in India since, with the home side winning all 16 series and losing only three of the 46 home Tests in that time — twice to Australia, in Pune in 2017 and then last year in Indore, and once to England in Chennai on their last visit in 2021."

Three tests. Bazball must be really bad if it only wins one :laugh:

No, it's not a "Bazball Whinge".

I wasn't expecting us to win the series either. Nobody was. But I was expecting better than what we've shown in the last two Tests.

Less embarrassing than our efforts at the World Cup last year, but that's not really saying much.

albion

Guru
You could say much the same about many a team member. We seldom travel well.

albion

Guru
True, they're just the ones that stick out, Bairstow in particular seems to get picked on past glories more than anything else.
His tendency to flinch whilst wicket keeping means he is only batting. Problem is, there are no batting certainties out there.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Bairstow has always been a very good player then had 18 months when he was fantastic. He thrived on bazball as it cleared his head and gave him a clear role. I suspect he has a complex psychological make up that doesn’t always match his physical skills. He then had a long break for injury and has never quite recovered. Foakes offers more, especially in India and it is likely Brooks would have played had he been available.

AndyRM

XOXO
From 175/3 to 183/8 in 6 overs.

I know the series is done, but that really is poor. Playing for a bit of pride would have been welcome, but apparently we've packed our bags already.

AndyRM

XOXO
I woke up at 7 am and was pleasantly surprised by the score.
It’s turned into a nightmare.

I did the same! Checked in at 145/3 or something, and by the time I'd made a cup of tea and sorted some breakfast turned the radio on to this disaster.

Seems like we're trying to force shots way too often, which is just daft, as is our game management. Trying to go gung ho in the middle order is madness, should be trying to rebuild at that point, not wallop everything.

Top Bottom