Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Cricket and Storm Kathleen, what a combo, get the big jumpers out. A lot of work for "covers" teams, and definitely a 2 flask picnic.

If Yorkshire can keep Fisher and Coad fit, then we should have more than enough to get promoted, provided the weather doesn't ruin too many early season games when we have reasonable availability of Brook Root and Bairstow.

Notable that Root and Bairstow being absent from yesterday's press day and official team photo call. Guess they had better things to do like play golf. We may as well right them off as county players sadly. You're right about the weather it going to be a key part of how things play out. The other big notable thing from yesterday is the high number of uncapped and young players. Are making up a good part of the 1st team having enough match fit older experienced players. Around to guide and keep the team grounded will also be a key factor. The side is defiantly in the rebuilding phase hopefully now with Gough's out the way. We can get someone who is up to job along with replacing Gibson who's not up to the job either.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Notable that Root and Bairstow being absent from yesterday's press day and official team photo call. Guess they had better things to do like play golf. We may as well right them off as county players sadly. You're right about the weather it going to be a key part of how things play out. The other big notable thing from yesterday is the high number of uncapped and young players. Are making up a good part of the 1st team having enough match fit older experienced players. Around to guide and keep the team grounded will also be a key factor. The side is defiantly in the rebuilding phase hopefully now with Gough's out the way. We can get someone who is up to job along with replacing Gibson who's not up to the job either.

Bairstow is playing IPL and Rooty is only available from next match for Yorks, so that's understandable. Brook pulling out of IPL is Yorkshire gain... We might see more of Malan too, he probably wont feature in Eng T20 squad.

I think its decent blend of young and old, excluding England players you have Lyth, Masood, Thompson, Tattersall, Coad, Fisher in the "older" cohort.

tom73

Guru
Bairstow is playing IPL and Rooty is only available from next match for Yorks, so that's understandable. Brook pulling out of IPL is Yorkshire gain... We might see more of Malan too, he probably wont feature in Eng T20 squad.

I think its decent blend of young and old, excluding England players you have Lyth, Masood, Thompson, Tattersall, Coad, Fisher in the "older" cohort.

Figures too busy chasing the money. Not sure what they bring to party anymore. Brook is most likely the best bet given he's free due to bereavement. Out of the 3 he still look's like seeing himself as a Yorkshire player. Seeing Malan back in Yorkshire shirt will be good to see.

albion

Guru
Not really that much hope for tomorrow. I cycled up the east coast, sensible avoiding the flooded off road bit to and through Druridge bay.
However, at Warksworth the flooded path near the old main bridge was being commandered by a pair of ducks.

Looking around on the 50 miles or so ride many a field was a lake imposter.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was a little surprised we put Leicester in, but it's proving to be a decent decision, as we now have them 7 down (184-7).

Less so Middx decision to let Glamorgan have first go, as they are closing in on 600 runs for only 3 down and Sam Northeast is 300+ not out!

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I was a little surprised we put Leicester in, but it's proving to be a decent decision, as we now have them 7 down (184-7).

Less so Middx decision to let Glamorgan have first go, as they are closing in on 600 runs for only 3 down and Sam Northeast is 300+ not out!

Yes, he finished with a Lords record 335 not out from a total of 620-3. Vert impressive.

tom73

Guru
Yes, he finished with a Lords record 335 not out from a total of 620-3. Vert impressive.

Reminds me of when I watched Darren Lehmann’s 339 against Durham in 2006. His last match it was a joy to watch and a true masterclass in batting. Both of course fall short of Hirst’s 341.
Which as it happens was against Leicestershire if only we had a Lehmann or Hirst in today’s side.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Reminds me of when I watched Darren Lehmann’s 339 against Durham in 2006. His last match it was a joy to watch and a true masterclass in batting. Both of course fall short of Hirst’s 341.
Which as it happens was against Leicestershire if only we had a Lehmann or Hirst in today’s side.

I'd heard rumours Lehmann would consider coming back as coach. If he let's me have his address I'll arrange to go and pick him up.

tom73

Guru
I'd heard rumours Lehmann would consider coming back as coach. If he let's me have his address I'll arrange to go and pick him up.

He's always said he'd like to come back. It's been reported he’d consider replacing Gough. Who was yet another expensive Patel misjudgement. I think we’d all happily pay him to come. Not only is he good at it, he understands what playing for Yorkshire really means. Something which has been sadly lacking the last few years.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
a fairly dull and weather effected opening round:
  • Weather wiped out 2 games completely (at Durham and Derbyshire)
  • only one positive result, Essex mananging to skittle out Notts at Trent bridge for 80 in 4th innings to claim a win, although they may well lose the points as their opener Feroze Khushi used a bat that wouldnt fit through the sizing gauge. Slightly odd that I don't think anytime was lost to the weather at Notts, but no play at all at Derby due to weather waterlogged pitch only 20 miles away.
  • Northeast 335no at Lords was put into some perspective when Middx made 655 in reply, a combo of a flat pitch and the kookaburra ball
  • Sussex got closest to forcing a result, but time lost to weather & bad light and a bit of dogged Northants resistance thwarted them
  • The highlight at Yorks was Lyth and particularly Brook chasing bonus point bring up their hundreds off 100 and 69 balls resp. With Lyth and Moriarty then bowling a few overs of spin as quickly as possible to make up for a slow 1st innings overrate and avoid a fine before the rain came.
Joe Root is back with Yorks for the next round starting on Friday, Brook defo has 4 more games with Yorks and I think Root maybe does too.

tom73

Guru
a fairly dull and weather effected opening round:
  • Weather wiped out 2 games completely (at Durham and Derbyshire)
  • only one positive result, Essex mananging to skittle out Notts at Trent bridge for 80 in 4th innings to claim a win, although they may well lose the points as their opener Feroze Khushi used a bat that wouldnt fit through the sizing gauge. Slightly odd that I don't think anytime was lost to the weather at Notts, but no play at all at Derby due to weather waterlogged pitch only 20 miles away.
  • Northeast 335no at Lords was put into some perspective when Middx made 655 in reply, a combo of a flat pitch and the kookaburra ball
  • Sussex got closest to forcing a result, but time lost to weather & bad light and a bit of dogged Northants resistance thwarted them
  • The highlight at Yorks was Lyth and particularly Brook chasing bonus point bring up their hundreds off 100 and 69 balls resp. With Lyth and Moriarty then bowling a few overs of spin as quickly as possible to make up for a slow 1st innings overrate and avoid a fine before the rain came.
Joe Root is back with Yorks for the next round starting on Friday, Brook defo has 4 more games with Yorks and I think Root maybe does too.

It's a good job Lyth and Brook turned up as no other of our batsman did.
Starting the CC this early was always a bit ask and in the Kookaburra ball which after a few overs it may as well be made of paper.
Is not going championship cricket any favours.

Top Bottom