Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A statistical curiosity which some might find interesting...

Last month the former Australian cricketer Graeme Watson died, from cancer apparently. His first test was the second match of the 1966/67 series against South Africa, and I believe that until Watson's death the Australian team in that game was the oldest remaining intact:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/153454.html?matches=1

The game in question started on New Year's Eve 1966, which was neat. I'm not sure where the distinction has now passed to - possibly the Australian team at Headingley in 1972.

For England teams, you have to come forward to 1979. The last death to cause a change was Bob Willis.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I watched this last night.

A great performance indeed,but not being a 'real cricket fan' i wonder why they play in long pants and not shorts,if it's a hot day. Is it just tradition to wear pants,or is there another reason?

Edit...and why do they have numbers on their backs? I don't recall test match players having them before.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
The chafing from straps, diving on short grass and risk of serious sunburn are all reasons why cricketers wear trousers.

The shirt number thing is relatively new, in fact I think it was introduced in that Ashes series. I believe the thinking is that it makes players easier to identify, why this is necessary I'm not sure, because really the only people who anyone is interested in at any given moment are the batsman and the bowler, which isn't really hard to work out.

tom73

Guru
If ever we needed to hear the knowledgable and comforting words of Richie it’s now. :wub:
The BBC must have some better highlights than the current offerings.
Some of the B&H cup finals would be a nice change. Anything a bit different really still plenty of county cricket fans about after all and that what won’t be around this year. :sad: The big money games will be if they get the go ahead.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was going to say 'but don't women wear skirts when playing cricket',but i looked at recent vids and saw they, like the men wear pants. I was thinking back to the old days, when i imagined them to still wear skirts.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jaykun85

is cricket still allowed to be played in the COVID era .. as from what I seen on the TV its very socially distanced already everyone on the Pitch seems to be in PPE and at least 6 feet apart while playing.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
This is nearly as stressful as it was last Summer!

I had been drinking beer from my lucky Lords mug all day and was beginning to suffer by these last few overs.

This is nearly as stressful as it was last Summer!

I had been drinking beer from my lucky Lords mug all day and was beginning to suffer by these last few overs.
I think TMS missed a trick on Sunday.

They should have re-recorded the commentary of the final super over, having NZ make that second run on the last ball to win the Final.

It would have been a fantastic wind-up. :laugh:

Am currently enjoying the rerun of the 2013 Ashes.:smile:

AndyRM

XOXO
I've been enjoying this test against the Windies, last day is really nicely set up.

Personally I think the BBC (other punditry is available) have been incredibly harsh on England*. 100 runs aside, both sides have suffered similar collapses, and England have done well to build a decent lead. If they can get over 200, victory may be there for the taking.

*With the exception of Denley - he is absolutely useless.

Top Bottom