Cricket World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
18 off the last over and India need to get 276. 275 The stage is set for Tendulkar, but maybe Malinga will be holding his hand up (not too far, of course :smile: ) for the Sri Lankan attack?

It's a good score to get, if the cricket pundits are right... :rolleyes:

I can't count.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My money's on.....

....I'll get back to you on that :whistle:

could go either way.

mangaman

I agree the best team won - but why wasn't Mendes playing?? One of the best players of the tournament.

I thought Sri Lanka batted well against an excellant Indian bowling side - especially Zaheer Khan at the start with 3 maidens in a row.

Murali was clearly not up to it and didn't even finish his 10 overs, and the only worthwhile bowler Sri Lanka had was Malinga - yet again, brilliant.

Mendis, meanwhile, sat on the boundary??

Who knows why - it may have been a non-cricket thing, but the selection was crazy.

Great game though - and my cricket heaven is watching Jayawardene bat. He is like a living MCC coaching manual with added flair. I thought his innings today was superb. Effortless, chanceless and 103 not out in 88 balls.

Dhoni's innings was brutal and devastating and unconventional - but just as effective - but Jayawardene makes batting looks so easy it appears even I could do it. (I can't)

Yep. well done the India team, and well done all the individuals who made it an exciting finish. I didn't watch the game and the commentary I listened to on R5 seemed a bit flat - maybe I wasn't concentrating enough on listening -. Re: Mendes, I agree with malingaman that it was a puzzler, particularly as Murali was 'crook' anyway!
And Tendulkar got his World Cup medal. Fame, riches and fetes await the winners... even their bats might be made of Bollywood for the next tournament! :smile:

Got home yesterday from Blighty and was absolutely delighted to see cricket on NRK TV (as Stephenite had mentioned) and watched the last 10 overs. Looked a great game to an incredible final - it would be interesting to know what kind of dodgy bets were being arranged!

I might do what Stephenite did and congratulate the TV company on their showing of the matches, but wind them up a bit! :evil:

mangaman

. Re: Mendes, I agree with malingaman that it was a puzzler, particularly as Murali was 'crook' anyway!

It was an odd one Aperitif.

Murali looked about as threatening as unexceptionally threatening baby kitten.

Mendis only got 7 wickets in the tournament - but an average of 19 and a strike rate just over 3
ohmy.gif

Randiv wasn't even in the squad. He was called up 3 days ago to cover Murali. He was picked - but could barely bowl, while Mendis sat there looking cheesed off.

I doubt India would ever have lost - they were so good - but Mendis instead of either Randiv or Murali would have played it would have made it a closer game.

(I like your change of my name - Malingaman has a much better ring to it - and the great man bowled awesomely again - especially with the new ball - getting rid of Sewhag and Tendulkar with the ball moving in and then away - was genious. And he has a great haircut)

mangaman

[QUOTE 1347124"]
My claim to fame today.

Was at an U-9s rugby tournament today. My son plays in the same side as Brian Moore's daughter. He'd never said a word to any of the other parents until today, when he became really sociable. He'd only grunted at me a few times as I'm one of the coaches.

But today, he made a bee-line straight for me, as we grouped around the marquee:

"Who were you supporting yesterday?" he asked.

"Erm. I actually support England."

"Great game!" he carried on unfazed."Pity Murali wasn't on top form. Sri Lanka were always one wicket behind. England will never be a great one day side."

Then carried on chatting to me about cricket and rugby for 15 mins. Completely unpretentious but I'm still star-struck and nervous.

[/quote]

That's good to hear COG.

As a rugby commentator I've always thought he was blatanly pro-English (to an embarrassing extent).

Nice to hear he's a genuine cricket fan
thumbsup.png

BTW - face it. You are a bit star-struck
whistling.gif

Top Bottom