Critérium du Dauphiné 2-9 June [spoilers]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Nationality has nothing to do with doping. If they were Brits and I thought they were guilty I'd mudsling too. To suggest otherwise Pedroetc is complete twaddle. I form my opinions on the circumstantial evidence available.
FWIW, I am an Italophile but I'm happy to finger their guilty riders:thumbsup:
Anyway, back to the racing, as Smutchin points out...
Just one Cat1 climb today so maybe a day for a chancer to make a name for himself.

Slaav

Guru
Only managed to watch the highlights this morning.
I must say they kept my attention at the end :smile:

I am in slightly two minds about Froome's 'assasination' of Bertie at the end? WHilst I loved it and it was great viewing, did he need to do that? COuld he have just sat there and watched Bertie try and break him while sucking his wheel and Bertie gaining no time? Imagine the spectacle of Bertie attacking again and again with Froome simply sticking to him and not bursting?

The reason I ask is that it appeared to me that Bertie realised he wasnt going ot take the stage and gain some time so simply didnt go for it at max. He seemed to keep himself in check and ride out rather than give it 100%?

Whilst winning the stage so 'easily' will have worked wonders for Froome/Sky and his confidence, I am not sure it shows that Bertie cannot attack and beat him.

Great result though! :smile:

Slaav

Guru
I think the first part of that sentence answers the second.

Wiggins gets criticised for never going on the attack. Now Froome gets criticised for doing the opposite. Ho hum.

Dont get me wrong, I loved it and think it was great viewing and sport. It also shows that there are two ways to skin every cat - and both can work! I also was not criticising it but simply questioning the tactics as a whole? As in 'did he need to do it'?

Loved it and also loved the SKy Death Star approach - maybe I am just odd :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't race, but if I did and I got a sniff of a win then I would bust a gut going for it! Okay, in a stage race you have the overall to think about as well, but nipping past Contador at the finish is going to help Froome in the psychological battle and isn't going to cause him problems in the physical battle, so go for it!

What racing doesn't need is the kind of nonsense between Armstrong and Pantani at the Ventoux ...

Incidentally, did anybody at the time really believe that Armstrong was doing rides like that, clean!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
FWIW, @Slaav, I thought it looked as if Bertie was eyeballs out, on the last stretch, to stay with Froome.

Agree, he looked spent with 100m to go, hence dropped by 4secs, not that 4secs makes a huge difference when put into context with the disaster that was his ITT. When he attacked there wasn't the instant distance from the pack that we are used to see him create. The same happened at Oman, he jumped and was caught then beaten on the line.

The Couch

Über Member
... COuld he have just sat there and watched Bertie try and break him while sucking his wheel and Bertie gaining no time? :smile: ...

I believe Froome is somebody who really wants to win stages when he feels he can.

(Which is why I believe he had so much trouble waiting for Wiggo - in last years Tour - the stage that Valverde won... since he felt he could ride to him and take the win)

If Busche would have been too far out, I believe he would have been satisfied sticking with Contador. because indeed as you say Froome didn't really need any more extra time on Contador.
(although probably he still would have given it all to beat him in the sprint for second place, since he does seem to take those little things/signs important)

I actually felt that right after the finish Froome seemed a little bit drained, so it seemed to me that that long acceleration needed to catch Bussche in the last 500m had cost him (in my opinion) too much unnecessary powers. But again... I just think it's in Froome's personality to not let a (stage) win go by.

The Couch

Über Member
Agree, he looked spent with 100m to go, hence dropped by 4secs, not that 4secs makes a huge difference when put into context with the disaster that was his ITT. When he attacked there wasn't the instant distance from the pack that we are used to see him create. The same happened at Oman, he jumped and was caught then beaten on the line.

I guess everybody already had that feeling last year in the Vuelta, but especially this year (with an assumed much better preparation) his attacks have looked very weak... Then again in the early races, he was already looking behind his shoulder (and not being able to continue the acceleration) after creating a gap of a mere 5m, so at least yesterday seemed an improvement on the panache of Contador... but yeah, it seems he ain't the pre2012 (Dirty?:smile:) Berty anylonger.

Slaav

Guru
I believe Froome is somebody who really wants to win stages when he feels he can.

(Which is why I believe he had so much trouble waiting for Wiggo - in last years Tour - the stage that Valverde won... since he felt he could ride to him and take the win)

If Busche would have been too far out, I believe he would have been satisfied sticking with Contador. because indeed as you say Froome didn't really need any more extra time on Contador.
(although probably he still would have given it all to beat him in the sprint for second place, since he does seem to take those little things/signs important)

I actually felt that right after the finish Froome seemed a little bit drained, so it seemed to me that that long acceleration needed to catch Bussche in the last 500m had cost him (in my opinion) too much unnecessary powers. But again... I just think it's in Froome's personality to not let a (stage) win go by.

Thanks to all for the varying but also consitent replies to my question :smile: I guess it can be summed up as :

Won the stage
With Panache
Gained time
Beat Dirty Bertie when challenged
Comfortably
Set out a marker
It was only for 100-200m all out so shouldnt do much damage overall to his recovery
Great viewing
Exciting racing leaving you wanting more and
Cannot wait for next episode :smile:

So overall - I'll get my coat and not question the wisdom of it.....

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I know I whinge about commentators and I know it's a tough job etc etc but does Carlton Kirby have to fill every second with ums, ahs, I say, I tell you what, putting the hurt on blah
Sometimes less is more.

Top Bottom