Critical Mass rides outside of London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
There was one in Newcastle upon Tyne a while back, I am not sure if it is a regular thing.

I used to be a regular many years back, but I was a bit of an eco-warrior type then (though I did have a driving licence I couldn't afford a car, my time was spent sabotaging hunts and campaigning against the Criminal Justice Act.

It was a bit anti-car rather than pro-bike, though the Pedal Pushers group added some balance and stopped it from being purely "dreadlocks on parade"

I've never bothered to partake in any more since I've rediscovered cycling in the last year or so...I would if is was CLEARLY targetted at one particlar notorious blackspot, or making a statement if a cyclist were to be killed and the sentence ridiculously light, but I don't really see what annoying other folk does

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
Ours are strictly NOT political and are more of a bicycle celebration. That's why we had staff from the city council, Sustrans, CTC and BC along with us.

Looks as though we'll be getting around 150 riders out this month :smile:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I used to be a regular many years back, but I was a bit of an eco-warrior type then (though I did have a driving licence I couldn't afford a car, my time was spent sabotaging hunts and campaigning against the Criminal Justice Act.

It was a bit anti-car rather than pro-bike, though the Pedal Pushers group added some balance and stopped it from being purely "dreadlocks on parade"

I've never bothered to partake in any more since I've rediscovered cycling in the last year or so...I would if is was CLEARLY targetted at one particlar notorious blackspot, or making a statement if a cyclist were to be killed and the sentence ridiculously light, but I don't really see what annoying other folk does

+1 My feelings exactly. The general public has no idea what point critical mass rides are trying to make (not sure I do either) .All they know is that they are being inconvenienced which probably just alienates them from us even more.

It would be interesting to know how many critical mass riders used cars to get to the event.

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
+1 My feelings exactly. The general public has no idea what point critical mass rides are trying to make (not sure I do either) .All they know is that they are being inconvenienced which probably just alienates them from us even more.

The local media did pre publicity for ours, came along on the day and we had no problems at all.

It would be interesting to know how many critical mass riders used cars to get to the event.

For ours, I'd say none.

Top Bottom