Critique my kit list please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

rich p said:
FFS you lot, Jay Clock posted an innocent question about his kit. He already knew largely what he was taking and he's now long gone to NZ. Why the hostility? Let it go.

It would be interesting to see a list of what Jay brings back with him, so we can compare what he brought with him.

Only then can individual items be vindicated.

I'm particularly interested in the fate of the nail clippers.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Abitrary said:
It would be interesting to see a list of what Jay brings back with him, so we can compare what he brought with him.

Only then can individual items be vindicated.

I'm particularly interested in the fate of the nail clippers.

I had to resort to buying some nail clippers on my first LEJOG ride. I'm sure that my toe nails had a growth spurt ojn the ride.

With the exceptpion of food I nearly always return with more than I set out with. All of my 'losses' are normally the result of poor packing or forgetfulness i.e. a pair of Aldi cycling specs languishing somewhere in Ayreshire, a bike lock in Exford, a pair of cheap flip flops somewhere in Provence.

All items can be vindicated if they give peace of mind.

Abitrary

vernon said:
I had to resort to buying some nail clippers on my first LEJOG ride. I'm sure that my toe nails had a growth spurt ojn the ride.

With the exceptpion of food I nearly always return with more than I set out with. All of my 'losses' are normally the result of poor packing or forgetfulness i.e. a pair of Aldi cycling specs languishing somewhere in Ayreshire, a bike lock in Exford, a pair of cheap flip flops somewhere in Provence.

All items can be vindicated if they give peace of mind.

Regarding the nail clippers, that sounds like boredom to me, and I've always suspected it. A small battery TV or radio would be a useful substitute for when the reality of touring kicks in.

The quantity of what he brings back compared with what he bought i don't think is necessarily accurate, but I think a Venn diagram would be a more useful way of representing it.

vernon

Abitrary said:
Regarding the nail clippers, that sounds like boredom to me, and I've always suspected it. A small battery TV or radio would be a useful substitute for when the reality of touring kicks in.

The quantity of what he brings back compared with what he bought i don't think is necessarily accurate, but I think a Venn diagram would be a more useful way of representing it.

I can assure you that the nail clippers were a much cheaper option than a visit to a chiropodist to have my toe nails trimmed. My shoes had become very uncomfortable because of the length of my nails.

The battery TV or radio could not be substituted for the nail clippers as they had no sharp edges that could be used for nail trimming purposes.

I'd show it on a Venn diagram but I wouldn't know where to start. Perhaps you could help?

Abitrary

vernon said:
I'd show it on a Venn diagram but I wouldn't know where to start. Perhaps you could help?

Hang on, was I not talking about Jay Clock? You can do a hypothetical one if you want, but I was more expecting Jay to do one when he got back... just keeping in the spirit of the thread...

A venn diagram is really very easy though, in concept and execution

Tony

But can it either trim nails or get the World Service?

Seriously, I take an MP3 for evenings in middle of buggerall. Worth it.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I will hopefully go past Whangaporoa. Plan is to do three days, Paihia to Broadwood, then to Taipa then back to Paihia with a day off in Russell or a boat trip on Sunday.

Nail clippers are IN the two small panniers I have whittled down to. I have snagged nails almost daily and having neat nails is high on my comfort list. Ripping them on things is common for me when out in the open

In answer to whether I would have taken everything I took, I will review later, but if I had to camp anywhere other than NZ, then probably yes. I had three spare tubes as it was a new bike with unknown tyres. Have whittled down to 2.

news here www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz

Abitrary

jay clock said:
Nail clippers are IN the two small panniers I have whittled down to. I have snagged nails almost daily and having neat nails is high on my comfort list. Ripping them on things is common for me when out in the open

It's not a debate about whether you use them or not, but about whether you're going to get lucky or not.

Have trimmed toenails up till this point improved your chances? If not, then jetison them.

vernon

Abitrary said:
Hang on, was I not talking about Jay Clock? You can do a hypothetical one if you want, but I was more expecting Jay to do one when he got back... just keeping in the spirit of the thread...

A venn diagram is really very easy though, in concept and execution

Nope you had definitely quoted me in your reponse regarding the nail clippers.

Now about your assistance with the Venn diagram. Is it forthcoming?

ASC1951

Guru
andrew_s said:
The thermarest is the single biggest improvement in camping equipment in the last 30 years:biggrin:
Absolutely. It might seem bulky and heavy, but the lightweigh one packs fairly small and I always find it reassuring to know that I will get a comfortable night's sleep no matter how stoney or scrubby the pitch is - particularly important if you're wild camping and setting out your stuff around dusk.

Like a lot of people on the forum (but not Bonj, allegedly) I have done several thousand miles cycle touring; 'proper' touring i.e. with tent and cooking kit, not hostelling. Not that there is anything wrong with hostelling, but it doesn't need the full kit list.

My tenpennorth: I take fewer and more versatile clothes, none of the electrical kit and less of the emergency stuff. Yes, it is nice to be able to deal with every problem from your own resources, but adaptability and a philosophical attitude get you a long way as well. For solo touring you need to be pretty ruthless with kit and my starting point is always 'what will happen if I don't have this?' rather than 'would this be nice to have?'

By now your three weeks will have told you more about what you do and don't need than all our sensible advice, even Bonj's.

Abitrary

vernon said:
Nope you had definitely quoted me in your reponse regarding the nail clippers.

Now about your assistance with the Venn diagram. Is it forthcoming?

A venn diagram (as I'm sure you really know) is used to describe sets in maths, and uses overlapping circles.

For example, you could have 4 intersecting circles titled as so:

1)the original list of stuff to bring
2)the list after peoples advice on here
3)the stuff I actually brought on the day in a hurry
4)the stuff I came back with

Tony

Thermarests......I camped at Grasspatch on hardpack that meant I had to use rocks to hold the guys down, as pegging was impossible. I slept well.

Top Bottom