cromoly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
There is, of course, no reason why your Falcon couldn't do E2E. I'd suggest try trekking bars or bar ends with it, but it should be sound enough.
will probably order a cheap pair of bar ends off ebay soon to see what i think as i found particularly today i was putting well tooooo much pressure on my hands and wrists and clamping the bars a bit to tightly meaning for the last few miles of the ride i was riding very slowly either no handed (very very quiet ie 2 maybe cars every hour back roads) or one handed flexing my hands, bringing my average speed right down! :sad: of course not trying to race anyone or even myself here!
Cheers Ed

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
will probably order a cheap pair of bar ends off ebay soon to see what i think as i found particularly today i was putting well tooooo much pressure on my hands and wrists and clamping the bars a bit to tightly meaning for the last few miles of the ride i was riding very slowly either no handed (very very quiet ie 2 maybe cars every hour back roads) or one handed flexing my hands, bringing my average speed right down! :sad: of course not trying to race anyone or even myself here!
Cheers Ed
Bar ends are a good move on a straight bar bike. I only took the plunge with some last year and now wish I'd had them years ago. I'd recommend some of the longer sort as they give a better choice of hand positions than the stubby ones.

wintergreen

Bar ends should be something to explore on your flat bar bike, they are a cheap and easy solution to wrist fatigue.
But opinions are like bums on brooks, everybody has one.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
They only sell them through their own shops (Revolution is their in house brand). Most Southern shop is in Sheffield, but they also post.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/our-shops.htm
That is a slight problem. Looks like their nearest branch to you is the Sheffield one.:whistle: Revolution is exclusive to EBC so you won't find anyone else stocking them closer to you I'm afraid.

Edit: Damn, beaten to it.:laugh:
thanks guys
revolution off the list then as i can't test ride :sad:
Cheers Ed

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I bought the Galaxy Plus. The reason being it came with bar end shifters rather than STI. I prefer the bar end shifters on a touring bike ...

Can I ask why? I don't understand how they would be better, so please enlighten me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
what is friction mode?
Cheers Ed
back in the day it was all we had. St Sheldon has more

These days shifters are indexed, they click at the shifter ensuring precisely the right amount of cable is pulled/released for each shift or half shift if trimming. Which is great until something in the shifter goes wrong, which is great unless the shifter is built into the brake lever, which is great if you have a team car or mechanic to sort you out!

Friction mode removes the detents of indexed shifting meaning you have to judge cable pull/released for yourself but you can continue to shift when things have gone wrong. Bar end shifters are beloved of wilderness tourers where if something goes wrong repairs/fixes via an LBS will be impossible.

wintergreen

Can I ask why? I don't understand how they would be better, so please enlighten me.

I didnt say they were better, I said it was my preference.
I find riding with bar end shifters a more relaxed ride. Im not forever on the hoods changing up or down a gear worrying about cadence like I would be on a road bike. Its an altogether more laid back approach to riding, at least in my experience.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I didnt say they were better, I said it was my preference.
I find riding with bar end shifters a more relaxed ride. Im not forever on the hoods changing up or down a gear worrying about cadence like I would be on a road bike. Its an altogether more laid back approach to riding, at least in my experience.
on a touring bike, like the galaxy, with dropped bars on long day rides or touring where you aren't flying along at 20 or 25mph where do you hold? on the drops, on the hoods or on the flat top section or where?
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom