cromoly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I wouldnt consider the Galaxy cross purely because of the flat bar setup. I dont enjoy doing any sort of distance with flat bars as I find them uncomfortable and changing to drops just adds more expense. The Vantage and the Galaxy Al look very similar. I have seen the odd Vantage pop up on Gumtree now and then and they seem to sell very cheap second hand. I havent seen a Galaxy Al for sale second hand so have no idea what sort of price you should expect to pay for one. Galaxys usually fetch a half decent resale price if they have been well looked after but an ally Galaxy, who knows?
Keep saving and keep looking, if you are patient enough you will get the bike you want at the right price.
i will keep saving and just wait and see what happens and if i don't have a new bike for lejopg next uyear then be it that way people have done it on worse bikes than my current
my current bike:
falcon-trailfinder.jpg

not great but will hopefully get me there and back
really what i NEED the galaxy for is a big european tour that will come some point in my life sooner rather than later! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Ed, don't get fixated on the name Galaxy with the new models. Unortunately Dawes decided to try and cash in on the name last year and renamed all the older bikes Galaxies of different types while moving the actual Galaxy down a notch.

To compare with the older models, The Galaxy AL is basically the Vantage (Very capable tourer, min was fine till I killed the poor thing), the Galaxy is what was the Horizon in 2012 (lovely bike, I have one now :smile:), The Galaxy Classic is what used to be the original Galaxy.

531 (or later 631) is better than the 520/525 Chromoly tubing, but none of those bikes would make a poor tourer. If I was recommending, I'd suggest looking for a 2012 model as the spec is similar, they can be found relatively cheap and I think the colour scheme is far superior to the current model. For example, this is mine :smile:

IMG_20140209_145653.jpg

wintergreen

Ed, don't get fixated on the name Galaxy

^^^^^^ This.
There are dozens of different touring bikes out there. Some cheap some expensive. Save your money. look at all the different options. Test ride as many as you can and buy the bike that feels right for you.
I like the Galaxy. that doesnt mean everybody likes the Galaxy or that its right for you. I like drop bars, have you ridden many miles on drop bars? Maybe you would feel more comfortable on a treking bike with flat bars.
Any bike you buy whether new or used is going to be quite an investment for a young lad so make sure you have done your reasearch and bought what YOU believe to be the best you could get.
Your comfort on a touring bike is what matters, not the name on the frame.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Ed, don't get fixated on the name Galaxy with the new models. Unortunately Dawes decided to try and cash in on the name last year and renamed all the older bikes Galaxies of different types while moving the actual Galaxy down a notch.

To compare with the older models, The Galaxy AL is basically the Vantage (Very capable tourer, min was fine till I killed the poor thing), the Galaxy is what was the Horizon in 2012 (lovely bike, I have one now :smile:), The Galaxy Classic is what used to be the original Galaxy.

531 (or later 631) is better than the 520/525 Chromoly tubing, but none of those bikes would make a poor tourer. If I was recommending, I'd suggest looking for a 2012 model as the spec is similar, they can be found relatively cheap and I think the colour scheme is far superior to the current model. For example, this is mine :smile:

IMG_20140209_145653.jpg

^^^^^^ This.
There are dozens of different touring bikes out there. Some cheap some expensive. Save your money. look at all the different options. Test ride as many as you can and buy the bike that feels right for you.
I like the Galaxy. that doesnt mean everybody likes the Galaxy or that its right for you. I like drop bars, have you ridden many miles on drop bars? Maybe you would feel more comfortable on a treking bike with flat bars.
Any bike you buy whether new or used is going to be quite an investment for a young lad so make sure you have done your research and bought what YOU believe to be the best you could get.
Your comfort on a touring bike is what matters, not the name on the frame.

thanks guys great help! :biggrin: have given you both likes and want to give you extra big likes but can't?! :sad:

am leaning towards the buy new side of things now and just save my extra pennies and pounds and get my self to a real and a good dawes retailer who stock lots of their bikes for me to test ride as i feel that dawes is defo the way to go unless i somehow end up with the money for one of those ti silk road thingies! not going to happen :sad:
anyway when the time really comes i will go and test ride as many as i can and see what i come back with at the end of the day if it is an empty back account and a big smile or if it just the knowledge that a hate dawes then so be it! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

wintergreen

Keep putting those pennys in the piggy bank, they soon build up.
Dont go aiming for the top of the range Ti framed touring bike you may find you dont like touring, or you may find other distractions in life that make you feel touring at your age isnt the number one priority.
Keep asking silly questions on forums and in the real world too. If you dont ask you dont get answers.

SS Retro

You might like to look at Ridgeback. They do some decent tourers.
Yup was just about to recommend the Edinburgh Bike Coop they do Ridgeback along side there Revolution models and seem to be well thought of on here seems to be some touring bargains in steel in there line up!
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/browse/bicycles/touring-bikes

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
That's not a tourer. There's no points to attach racks, a single front ring and a much thinner tubed frame.
oh wel, i want a tourer, a road bike (vintage or/and new!) and a recumbent trike oh and maybe a recumbent quadracycle :biggrin:
You might like to look at Ridgeback. They do some decent tourers.
Yup was just about to recommend the Edinburgh Bike Coop they do Ridgeback along side there Revolution models and seem to be well thought of on here seems to be some touring bargains in steel in there line up!
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/browse/bicycles/touring-bikes
thanks guys will have a look at them more in depth but on the surface they look good :biggrin: even more options to consider :sad:
Cheers Ed

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's a different ride to steel, but I toured quite a bit on a (6061) Alu tourer and in some ways I really used to like the slightly more rigid feel of the bike when fully loaded.

wintergreen

I have no experience of it and even if I did it wouldnt relate to you, The only way you will find out what its really like is to go and try it for yourself. Buying a touring bike is much the same as the "Brooks saddle threads". Everybody has a different oppinion. I rode a Ridgeback for a year and hated it, the riding position was just wrong for me. I rode a Surly Long Haul Trucker last summer and it just didnt light my fire. Both bike are fantastic machines but they werent right for me.
You have to go out and find whats good for you and then decide whether you can or are willing to pay what that bike costs.
Above all else dont buy a bike just because you read on the internet its the best bike in the world ever. Buy a bike because it feels right and does what you want it to do.

Top Bottom