cromoly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Aren't you still at school, so not exactly unemployed

Could get a paper round, not sure what else 15 year olds are allowed to do these days...apart from play X Box and occasionally study?
yes, still at school :sad: no xbox or play station or tv :biggrin: as already mentioned i have some super top secret business plans that will soon be revealed on ebay! :biggrin:
tried getting a paper round and none of the local shops want one and tried getting a job mucking out stables in one or places and neither wanted it :sad:
Cheers Ed

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't forget to tell the taxman ;)

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Accountant you say. I don't charge much ?

Go for a classic Galaxy.
why a classic galaxy over a modern one apart from S/H price?
Cheers Ed

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ed I have 3 bikes that are 20 years old. Drive chains are pretty damn efficient anyway, so it's not really an issue. Newer doesn't mean better, and you'll probably find older models are better specced.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
allu corrodes and only gets worse and a lick of paint doesn't stop it, it just continues under the paint steel doesn't :biggrin: also steel just bends and dents rather than cracking so easily
Cheers Ed

This.
Last year my chain stuck in my rear mech, and dragged the whole rear mech into the spokes. It bent the rear triangle.
A frame builder applied some heat and straightened it, and it was as good as new.
An alu or carbon frame would have been a write-off.

Having said that, I do love my carbon bike as well.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
This.
Last year my chain stuck in my rear mech, and dragged the whole rear mech into the spokes. It bent the rear triangle.
A frame builder applied some heat and straightened it, and it was as good as new.
An alu or carbon frame would have been a write-off.

Having said that, I do love my carbon bike as well.
not comparable carbon bikes are for shorter super fast sprints a big heavy steel frame is meant to be bombproof and good for longer distances!

considering all the older ones are reynolds steel i may get one of them and update this bit and that
shimano r500 wheels are they any good for any long distances like 2000 miles?
any good for a few thousands miles tour? thinking my lejog next year may end up over 2000 miles and want to come home in one piece and with a bike in one piece and also not hating cycling after it!
Cheers Ed

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
^^^ What @Adrian said. The R500 wheels are respected wheels for sporting use but for touring you want something more robust, especially as you've expressed an intent to camp so will be carrying a bit of weight.

Top Bottom