Crossing a junction on foot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welovekorea

A question for the legal experts: can a cyclist hop off their bike and walk across a junction if the lights turn red (and it is safe to do so!)?
The background: on my regular cycle-commute, I have learned that some sets of traffic lights turn red then have a pedestrian crossing period before the opposing traffic goes, then the lights turn green for me. This evening, the lights turned red so I dismounted (fully) and walked the bike across the side road with some pedestrians. I was about to recount the bike on the far side when a policeman stopped me and threatened me with a fine. His reasoning was that you cannot flip between being a cyclist and a pedestrian - if you approach the junction as a cyclist you must cross as a cyclist and you cannot get off and walk!
Has anyone had experience of this or can anyone point me to relevant rules?
It's just out of interest since he didn't fine me but it would be useful to know in case there's a next time!

mgs315

I’m no expert but I would’ve done the same in your situation and consider the officer in question a right twod.

Did you record his shoulder number? If you turn out to be in the right he may need re-educating.

I would’ve asked him what law was broken as you would wish to educate yourself on the subject so you could continue to be a law abiding citizen. Would also give you a start for where to look into the law and may have also called his bluff on not knowing the exact infraction.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Why can't you switch from cyclist to pedestrian? Is walking uphills or pushing a bike with a puncture illegal?

I used to cross the 'Scott Arms' junction at Great Barr using the pedestrian crossing many times - like OP, I realised I could get another mile up the road before the lights turned green.

iandg

Legendary Member
Suspension bridges in Inverness ask cyclists to dismount, railway level crossings ask cyclists to dismount of course you can switch from one to the other.

Is it illegal to push a bike through a 'cycing prohibited' pedestrian zone?

midlife

Guru
There's loads about this... I quite like this thread

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=58082

Drago

Legendary Member
Complain to the officers Inspector. Hes a nodder who clearly needs re read his Blackstones properly. You are absolutely entitled to dismount and become a pedestrian any time you like, and then then remount any time you like.

He cant fine you, and I cant think of any offence he can FPN you for either because you're simply not committing one. By this fools logic you can't get off the bus, nip across the road at crossing and get on another bus, or park a car, walk across the road, and get straight in another car (should you be lucky enough to have cars littering the place).

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hmmm...I can sort of see the issue if you just pedal up to the junction, stop on the road, dismount and push your bike across that doesn't feel great.

But if you dismount, push bike onto the pavement (thus becoming a pedestrian) and then push bike across the road with other pedestrians that feels better

OP
OP
W

Welovekorea

@ Smokin Joe, clause 69 of the Highway Code only says :
"You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD reg 10(1)"
There's no mention of "even when wheeling" in the Highway Code. RTA Clause 36 ("Drivers to comply with traffic signs") refers to "a person driving or propelling a vehicle". Does this really include someone pushing a bike??

Top Bottom