Crufts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
You must have been pleased to see the saluki in the final?
I don't watch it so didn't see the Saluki. I bet he was gorgeous though.
I don't agree with eugenics. The kennel club put their rules and regulations in for the 'perfect dog'. The KC have totally ruined the German Shepherd Dog with the sloping back and increasingly weak hips. Don't even get me started on Bassetts, Bulldogs or even Greyhounds (show greyhounds couldn't catch a rabbit if you paid them). Cavalier King Spaniels have some very serious health problems, Pugs have compromised breathing now as they try for the perfect flat face.
Nope. Show dogs are not for me. I like a nice crossbreed or a dog that is fit & healthy for it's purpose.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3577915, member: 76"]Well the Scottie did it, it should have been the Beagle :angry:[/QUOTE]
Beagle me up, Scottie. (Seeing as Star Trek has already visited the thread.)

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
10897127_638615546248970_3384399004858856686_n.jpg

858-jpg.81928.jpg

Hmmmm, I can see the similarity if I squint a bit..

I'd love to have the pooch's eyebrows.

Sara_H

Guru
I don't watch it so didn't see the Saluki. I bet he was gorgeous though.
I don't agree with eugenics. The kennel club put their rules and regulations in for the 'perfect dog'. The KC have totally ruined the German Shepherd Dog with the sloping back and increasingly weak hips. Don't even get me started on Bassetts, Bulldogs or even Greyhounds (show greyhounds couldn't catch a rabbit if you paid them). Cavalier King Spaniels have some very serious health problems, Pugs have compromised breathing now as they try for the perfect flat face.
Nope. Show dogs are not for me. I like a nice crossbreed or a dog that is fit & healthy for it's purpose.
Couldn't agree more.
Many breeds have become gross characatures with no consideration for some of the terrible health implications that can make these dogs lives hell.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm with @Saluki and @Sara_H on this one, the 'breed standards' make for a lot of health problems. I had hoped that the GSD standards would be revised and my lad, Sabor, had imported (German) dogs in his bloodline which meant he didn't have the sloping back and associated hip problems but that does not seem to be happening in the show world. :cursing:

buggi

Bird Saviour
I'm with @Saluki and @Sara_H on this one, the 'breed standards' make for a lot of health problems. I had hoped that the GSD standards would be revised and my lad, Sabor, had imported (German) dogs in his bloodline which meant he didn't have the sloping back and associated hip problems but that does not seem to be happening in the show world. :cursing:

me too, human's ruin everything :cursing: and that poor irish setter, what an absolute bastard whoever that was. Is that why Pedigree Chum decided to move away from being associated with Crufts? i heard a rumour it was the reason, because they didn't want to be associated with the increased risk to dogs health and all the bad things that happen at shows with jealous rivals. not sure if that's true though

that Scottie is really lovely though, but i bet they used Nice & Easy No. 79 on it :laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
me too, human's ruin everything :cursing: and that poor irish setter, what an absolute bastard whoever that was. Is that why Pedigree Chum decided to move away from being associated with Crufts? i heard a rumour it was the reason, because they didn't want to be associated with the increased risk to dogs health and all the bad things that happen at shows with jealous rivals. not sure if that's true though

that Scottie is really lovely though, but i bet they used Nice & Easy No. 79 on it :laugh:

I can't remember why they pulled out, but yes, it was something like that.

I have visited Crufts in years past and yes, it is a great spectacle to see (although it is HUGEAMUNGOUS!!). I hope they catch the degenerate piece of scum who poisoned that dog, but, given the open nature of it all and all the thousands of people there, I don't hold out much hope.

What always surprises me is the fact that the stalls the dogs are given before/after showing are readily accessable by anyone, you can walk up to any of them and (depending of who is about of course) do anything. It just doesn't seem right and I always felt like I was somehow intruding when I walked up and down the rows and rows of dogs all waiting. Given Thursday's events, I would support a move for better security for the dogs, even so far as keeping them seperate from the public, full stop!

P.S. That Saluki was gorgeous!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom