Crufts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
These people really love the dogs, don't they...

DOG LIFTED.jpg

[I suppose it proves the winner has feet and not castors]

KEEF

Veteran
tdf 2 i phone 130.JPG
This is a dog

Mine came third in Fetch the Sausage once. It was a real sausage and they had to fetch it back without eating it. He managed a few steps back before it was gone. Some dogs just legged it off the square with the sausage, owners in hot pursuit. Now that's a category you don't see at Crufts, shame.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Mine came third in Fetch the Sausage once. It was a real sausage and they had to fetch it back without eating it. He managed a few steps back before it was gone. Some dogs just legged it off the square with the sausage, owners in hot pursuit. Now that's a category you don't see at Crufts, shame.
To be honest I think I'd fail at that one...

I had the "pleasure" of visiting the premises of a breeder of Yorkshire Terriers just a week before a Crufts show that they were entered in. I saw what must be a dozen or so dogs, in cages with their fur tied up into certain positions, all barking in what seemed like a stressful manner. I could only assume that they had been there a while already and that they would spend considerable time in those small cages in the run-up to Crufts. The lengths that humans go to in order to show how good they are at manipulating the looks of a dog is beyond me. I fully understand that some dogs are bred for specific purposes, but I imagine only a small amount were, in the past, bred the way they are for their looks. I'm all for breeding for purpose where the purpose is something that the dogs enjoy and is inherently useful to humans, but not this. Maybe gun-dogs in Crufts should compete in a way that shows how good they are at retrieving, and terriers for their ability to catch rats in barns.

I've been involved in the poultry show scene and bred birds to show, but found that there were too many people prepared to go to lengths that i wasn't prepared to go to in order to succeed. I wasn't happy with being associated with that and stopped showing last year. As awful as this poisoning is, it doesn't surprise me. A lot of the show scenes seem to be full of the vilest human beings I've met.

I'm no animal lover but I think crufts is cruel. Some breeding leaves dogs barely able to live normally.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
That's a category that should be at Crufts.
Hubster thinks that for working dogs that they should be in a mocked up countryside setting and the one that catches the most rats, wins.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I watched a minute of that and could feel my brain atrophying. That dog must be bombproof. My dogs would have gone ballistic if there was that much yelling in their faces. I take is this was some sort of spoof programme?

From the same film makers as Spinal Tap

Top Bottom