Crufts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Toffee has been contemplating being a show dog and thinks that it looks like too much hard work. In the meantime he is going to expend a lot of energy raising his head to stare at his favorite bed that is drying on the laundry rack.
Toffee20720months.jpg

You haven't photoshopped the length of his legs and tail?
We too have a long-legged sofa-hound but from the look of that photo Toffee really is something!

Some breeds have been changed almost beyond recognition by little more than the demands of fashion, in 100 years or so.

Here's an interesting site, and the link to Historical Photographs is worth a look too: https://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/
Wow. I knew GSD had changed a lot,but not that much. A lot less than 100 years ago I remember the Police dogs visiting school and seeing them at other events, with a wood demo wall, which they could increase in height by dropping evermore wood slats into a frame. Impressive heights obtained, I can't see a modern pedigree GSD doing that, the proportions just look wrong.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Wow. I knew GSD had changed a lot,but not that much. A lot less than 100 years ago I remember the Police dogs visiting school and seeing them at other events, with a wood demo wall, which they could increase in height by dropping evermore wood slats into a frame. Impressive heights obtained, I can't see a modern pedigree GSD doing that, the proportions just look wrong.
But a modern police dog wouldnt be a crufts breed standard. They will be far more like a traditional GSD.
They seem to look like a hyena, with the short back legs.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Modern Police GSDs are still prone to hip dysplasia and/or arthritis. Just look on the rehoming pages that most Police forces have at the GSDs being retired or not making the grade.

Isn't that the point though? That there is a KC standard and a 'traditional' GSD. One is bred to look like an ideal, one is bred to work.
Seems west midlands police breed their own dogs link.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
You haven't photoshopped the length of his legs and tail?
We too have a long-legged sofa-hound but from the look of that photo Toffee really is something!
I am a luddite and don't know how to photoshop. I don't have photoshop anyway. He's a 7 month old 3/4 Saluki x 1/4 Greyhound. He will grow into those legs and that tail. He's a little wee star. He sits for his dinner, for treats, at road crossings and just when he wants something. It's his latest 'thing'.
He can really really shift. He can't quite keep up with our Greyhound but he's staying in touch and 'cheats' by cutting across the arc when Billy sweeps around in a circle on the field. He's going to be a bit gorgeous when he is fully grown. He's from serious working stock as far as we can tell so his bits will be off soon. I'm not taking chances of him getting nicked for stud.

matiz

Guru
Hope he grows into them ears
IMG-20150310-WA0000.jpg

Saluki

World class procrastinator

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We had a dog until two years ago when we took him to the vet to be killed. An act of mercy, I hope. The recent news that obsessive canine types feed their rivals' mutts with slug poison at Cruft's doesn't come as a complete surprise. A lot of them are barking. Here's more from "Best in Show". Watch the whole film if you can find it. It's very funny.
[media]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArZ1Iz8RzSU
[/media]

Top Bottom